Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
zacdl

Salt in aquarium?

I was wondering if I should be adding salt to the tank to help with fish stress or whatever.

How much and how often?

Would Instant Ocean (A saltwater mix) be OK for that or does it require differant type of salt?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Do NOT use sea salt. Some people like adding aquarium salt to their tanks, and there are about a thousand threads on here already about salt usage in aquariums. It's highly debated. Do a quick search for it, and you'll find many a posts.

I do not bother adding aquarium salt, but I have it on hand incase I need to treat a bout of ich.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
zacdl

Why whats bad that is in sea salt?

The search funtion on this fourm is terrible, every time I try searching for something I come up emty handed.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Freshwater Aquarium salt is sometimes used in freshwater. I don't use it unless treating for ich. I don't see anything beneficial from using it. Some fish, like loaches, do not fare well with salt.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
zacdl

I dont see anything benificial from it either, but I was wondering if I should keep the salt or if it was truely bad for a FW tank.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can be bad for some fish. Anything scaleless in the tank really doesn't do well with salt.

55 Gallon Community
Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

If you're still planning on plants...ditch the salt. It's not bad for a normal FW tank but it's a disaster for planted tanks. 8O
Old 08-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
SW salt has alot of trace minerals that could be toxic to FW fish.. Boron, Silver, ect. ect. ect.

FW salt is a treatment for ich, but not nessisary, heat can treat ich.
and it can be used to treat nitirite poisioning..

I have never used the stuff to be honest with you..
Old 08-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I had salt in my planted tank for a while...no wonder things didn't do too well. He he. I'm such a noob.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
zacdl

I have used salt with Ich before... it really does work well!

It seems like it would kill the fish but it doesnt, i could get the dosage if anyone is intersted.

You basically add a ton of salt (Not a ton, but a good amount) to the tank, and repeat that dosage 3 times each 24 hours. Wait two days after the last dose, and do a 50% PWC.

This kicks ich in the butt! Normally in 3 days ich will be gone.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:38 AM   #11

i dont think its healthy to add salt to a freshwater aquarium.. only Brackish water. Think about it, in their natural habitat do they have salt? if the answer is no then i wouldn't add it for any reason.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #12

oh also id like to add that the salt makes it harder for Freshwater fish to regulate osmotic pressure because they are made to be in freshwater,
Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
You basically add a ton of salt (Not a ton, but a good amount) to the tank, and repeat that dosage 3 times each 24 hours. Wait two days after the last dose, and do a 50% PWC.
No, you add the required amount of salt once. Too much salt will kill the fish but not enough salt won't begin to kill the ICH. You just put it all in over the course of a couple hours.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigor
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
No, you add the required amount of salt once. Too much salt will kill the fish but not enough salt won't begin to kill the ICH. You just put it all in over the course of a couple hours.

the salt doesn't kill ICH, saltwater fish get ich too!!! its the HEAT that kills the ich, it is said to add salt and raise the heat, but youi don't need the salt, it is not necessary and causes more harm than good!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never had salt harm my fish and I've treated for ich with the heat and salt treatment several times. Only once have I done just the heat treatement. Suprisingly my rubbermouth pleco survived the salt. But in a normal tank isn't not needed. Salt basically helps dry up the ich.

55 Gallon Community

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com