salt vs prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guysipe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The question is simple, do I use aquarium salt (API), or do I use Prime to reduce Nitrites? If salt how much per gallon and if Prime I can read directions.
I would appreciate any comments.
:thanks:

I would use prime. Prime is safely dosed up to 5x it's strength in a tank. It will safely detoxify them for 24 hours.

Is your tank still cycling?
Is it a fish in or a fish less cycle?

If it's a fish in cycle I would do a water change to reduce the nitrites.

Thanks for help. I thought prime would be the answer. I added 10ml of prime last evening. I will check stats today. It is a 36 gal bow front going through a cycle from adding a new aquaclear 70 filter and getting rid of the aqueon I had.
thanks again.

If there's no fishs here, don't do water changes, don't dose anything, and wait until nitrites drop themselves. Else, dose prime and do daily partial water changes to bring levels down...

When you changed your filter, you should have run both for 3 weeks. Or place the ceramics bios from the cycled one into the uncycled one.

I did, moved the ceramic rings to other tank. Fish in. Found out that the ceramic balls that come with aquaflow filter should be replaced with full rings gradually getting the old balls out and put rings in.
thanks for help.

Reducing Nitrites

The question is simple, do I use aquarium salt (API), or do I use Prime to reduce Nitrites? If salt how much per gallon and if Prime I can read directions.
I would appreciate any comments.
:thanks:

Hello guy...

My answer would be both in addition to large, frequent water changes. Aquarium salt will reduce the toxic effect of nitrogen. I use a teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of my water change water. Prime will do the same. However, if you change half the water in the tank every week, then there's no time for toxins to build up before it's time to change the water again.

B

Hey B, thanks for info. Will this effect my fancy tail guppies, or do them good. Thats all I have in the tank!

regards.

Your Fish

Hey B, thanks for info. Will this effect my fancy tail guppies, or do them good. Thats all I have in the tank!

regards.

Your Guppies are livebearing fish, but you know that already. This small group of aquarium fish like Platys, Swordtails and Mollies will definitely appreciate a little standard aquarium salt added to their new, treated tap water. Salt in small doses, like a teaspoon or so in every 5 gallons of water is minimal, but effective. It will boost your fishes' immune system and eases the breathing process. Change half the tank water every week for small tanks up to 30 gallons and half every two weeks for the larger tanks and your fish will stay healthy.

B

regards.

Hi guysipe

Just out if curiosity for research reasons could you tell me how much nitrite you have measured and it would be really helpful if you are using tap water if you could pull up your local water supplies water quality report and tell me how much chloride you have in your tap water. It will be in mg/l

Finally. Do you fish show any signs of distress?

I reinforce that you should change water to combat nitrites unless your tap water contains ammonia.

Thanks

A little salt is good for live bearers. Water changes reduce nitrites more effectively than salt or prime.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello guy...

My answer would be both in addition to large, frequent water changes. Aquarium salt will reduce the toxic effect of nitrogen. I use a teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of my water change water. Prime will do the same. However, if you change half the water in the tank every week, then there's no time for toxins to build up before it's time to change the water again.

B

B, how much salt to add, just the tsp per 5 gal of water changed or the amount for the whole tank?

Back
Top Bottom