Salt water driftwood in a freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a nearly endless supply of saltwater driftwood and want to know if I can use it in my freshwater tank after proper preparation?

Do I need to boil it, soak it, sterilize it or what to make it useable if it can be used in my freshwater tanks?

Hi fish,

I know its amazing driftwood collecting on the beach up there but usually it is full of sand & salt. I am pretty sure its a bad idea to put it in your freshwater tank unless it is for brackish species.

However there are plenty of places to find freshwater driftwood. You could go up the Hoquiam it has some good stuff & some areas of public access. The Chehalis (I think thats the one down near Elma had some nice stuff last time I was there but you probably would need a canoe to get at it unless you know someone with property on the river. There is also another river I think the Humtulips (spelling) which I know has public access and nice stuff. If I where you I would go on an innertube float when it warms up and collect some. I thinks the humtulips would be the best for that (don't they have the unboat riverfloat on that river?)

Good rivers but tons of pine and fir and the ceder is usually really beat up. The last post in here says that using drift wood from the ocean is ok because he treats the wood in salt water anyway. If this is the case, it should be really easy to get a small business started with the tons of it on the beaches.

I guess I need to know if there is any reason not to use it and if there isn't, what do I need to do to prepare it so it is safe for freshwater tanks?

I think you would be in for a lot of work getting ocean driftwood clean enough. And unless you are willing to anchor it to a piece of slate or something, Im not sure it would ever sink on its own.

Would be a bad idea. Even with boiling, won't get all the salt and sand out, and you'll be in for problems. Also, like mentioned above, will probably have to be anchored.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to stick to my new plan. Make clay driftwood. That way it is the size and shape I want and nothing to worry about. Thanks for the advice everyone. Keep it coming though so we get a food censious of the bad and possibly good of it.

I search EBat all the time. Don't like the prices and definately don't like the shipping most of the time. If I do go after my own driftwood, I have lots of rivers and lakes that I can go to and try to find a descent piece. If I find a good source I will ask people if they want them here and will provide pictures because I know how hard it is to find for most. We have a tree, I think it is a beach pine that should make awesome driftwood except most of it is on the beach as the name suggests. A really gnarly wood that naturally grows into itself and around itself. Makes some awesome centerpieces for yards. Might have to find some that has fallen and not gone into the water so it is safe.

Back
Top Bottom