Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is play sand ok to use as substrate? I cant find pool filter sand :/

You can use it. I've heard that it's finer than PFS so be sure you let it settle well before you turn on your filter or it can damage the filter.

Did you check Home Depot or Lowe's for PFS? They both carry it here. :)

You can use it. I've heard that it's finer than PFS so be sure you let it settle well before you turn on your filter or it can damage the filter.

Did you check Home Depot or Lowe's for PFS? They both carry it here. :)
Well, I am shopping online at the Home Depot website, I dont have any of those stores near me, they are at least an hour away :( With as much as I will pay in gas I might as well just have it shipped! I will check Lowes website next. I am a little worried about changing my substrate because I have read about the tank clouding up and I worry about the fish that will need to go back in, will they be ok while the sand settles?

What a deal though! $3 for 50 pounds! Im extremely happy with that! I returned my aragonite to Petsmart :)

Well, I am shopping online at the Home Depot website, I dont have any of those stores near me, they are at least an hour away :( With as much as I will pay in gas I might as well just have it shipped! I will check Lowes website next. I am a little worried about changing my substrate because I have read about the tank clouding up and I worry about the fish that will need to go back in, will they be ok while the sand settles?

I've never changed out substrate before so I can't answer that. :( Play sand and PFS are both really cheap though....def the way to go! (y)

I'm guessing if you have no Home Depot or Lowe's, you probably don't have a Tractor Supply either?

I've never changed out substrate before so I can't answer that. :( Play sand and PFS are both really cheap though....def the way to go! (y)

I'm guessing if you have no Home Depot or Lowe's, you probably don't have a Tractor Supply either?
Definitely have a Tractor Supply! Im in the country lol! Its a little ways away still, not as far as HD or Lowes tho!

Tractor Supply has Black Diamond Blasting Sand....I think it's like $7-8 for 50 lbs. I just put it in a 29 gallon, and it is GORGEOUS. I love the black. Most people seem to agree that it's safe to use as long as you don't have cories (although some say it's fine for them too).

Tractor Supply has Black Diamond Blasting Sand....I think it's like $7-8 for 50 lbs. I just put it in a 29 gallon, and it is GORGEOUS. I love the black. Most people seem to agree that it's safe to use as long as you don't have cories (although some say it's fine for them too).
Perfect! I have African Cichlids :) I have natural gravel in now, I have come to HATE it :( I see all these beautiful tanks with sand and I get extremely jealous lol.

A lot of people use it in cichlid tanks...you should be good to go. The black diamond has almost a sparkly quality to it. (And black doesn't show fish poo as much....lol). :D

A lot of people use it in cichlid tanks...you should be good to go. The black diamond has almost a sparkly quality to it. (And black doesn't show fish poo as much....lol). :D
The black sounds FABULOUS! Thank you so much for your help! It saved me TONS of money! This puts me one step closer to finishing my decor, all I need now is slate! (I think, lol, is that aquarium safe?)

Back
Top Bottom