Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a 5 gal for Xmas, and it will house 2 Dwarf Puffers and maybe a few Ghost Shrimp. DPs are messy eaters, correct? So sand would make cleanup easier, correct? Now, is there a safe type of sand I can get for cheap at like, Home Depot, or do I have to use the $$$ey "special" Aquarium Sand?

You CAN use the home depot stuff However there are a few warnings:
a) Make sure that it is not treated with ANY chemicals (sandbox sand for children seems to be the most popular). You can use the pricier stuff if you feel more comfortable going that route.

b) Ghost shrimp will be a snack for puffers.

c) See your post on snails for some stuff i posted about feedign your puffers. Now that i see this post it will be the best if you use the snail that i suggest (the Malaysian Burrowing Trumpet snail). Hard to kill, it stirs up and aerates the sand and it is a livebearer that breeds fast (plus i heard that puffers just LOVE to crunch down on their shells). If you lived up here in canada i could give you like 100 of the snails (i have about 250 in my tank now)

HTH

Cheers

Sand really isn't easier to clean up. We just did our first partial water change with sand and it was harder than gravel. I guess it takes time to get used to it.

You just have to hover the syphon over top of the sand. you can also try to put a fine mesh grate over the base of the syphon to stop a lot of sand from getting sucked up.

rightyo, thanks lunchbox! I'm planning on cycling the tank with guppies, and maybe I'll add the shrimp at the same time, see if they can find good hiding spots before the Puffs arrive.

Back
Top Bottom