Sand and Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatal Foxglove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've been researching to find out all I can about setting up our family aquarium, and what equipment to get, but I keep coming up against a wall when it comes to sand and gravel. I understand that the smaller the gravel, the more surface area there is for the bacteria to grow, so wouldn't that make sand better? I rather like black sand, and I think it would go well with our eventual population of neon tetras, but I don't know how difficult it is to clean, or if it's bad for certain fish or what. Please let me know any advise you have to offer, I love the look of black sand... but at the end of the day I don't really mind black gravel.

I use pool filter sand. Cheap and looks exactly like beach sand. Good for all fish and easy to clean.

I think sand is easier because debris does not shift through it like it does through gravel. It's very easy to clean intially, not as simple as rinsing it off like sand is, but it's pretty easy. Then during gravel vacs just wave the vac above the sand and kick up the debris and suck it out. :) We only have sand in all of our tanks, no more gravel.

To clean sand:

Fill a five gal bucket about half way full of sand. Stick a garden hose in the bucket. Swish the sand around with the garden hose, all the way to the bottom. Let the bucket overflow. Keep doing this until the water runs out clear and you don't have any floaties. Pour out water and dump sand into tank.

If you ask them at the lfs they will say gravel is the way to go, but everyone here seems to like the sand. I'm totally confused myself and probably will just try them both eventually.

The lfs makes money off selling the gravel. Most people will not pay the price of aquarium sand at a lfs IMO. I have both sand and gravel and have been converting my tanks to sand. It looks more natural, is far easier to clean. You have to stir it up when doing water changes to prevent gas pockets but it retains much less gunk than gravel. Gravel enables food and waste to fall through it requiring deeper cleanings more often. Sand as mentioned above needs only to have the wand waved over it and the gunk goes up the gravel vac. Stirring it gently quickly settles. Pool filter sand is slightly heavier than some sands and doesn't get sucked up my python at all. I can't express how much more I prefer sand over gravel now having tried both!

As everyone else, I'd have to say the sand is FAR better and easier to clean that gravel. The only downside I've had so far is that I don't like the look of the pool filter sand. The black sand looks much better to me. And the only place I've been able to find black is at the LFS where it costs more than pool filter sand or sand blasting sand.

I have been keeping an eye out though, and I think there is a brand of sand blasting sand that is black. I have yet to get my hands on any to see if it's really usable for aquariums though.

Here's another vote for pool filter sand. Just hope you can find it. My search took several days and a lot of phone calls and store visits. I just spent about 45 minutes cleaning ~45lbs of sand for my 20gallon high (havn't decided yet exactly how much to use, all of it would be 3" depth), and it indeed is heavier than normal sand. It settled to the bottom of the bucket in about 2-5seconds and after a lot of agitation and washing (I had to do this in the basement of my house using the sink and my hand to agitate the sand because its cold outside), it looks great! I got 50lb bags for ~$7 from a local pool place.

Not only do I hear its easy to clean, but its certaintly cheap enough to just pitch if it starts to get cruddy.

justin

Skyrmir said:
As everyone else, I'd have to say the sand is FAR better and easier to clean that gravel. The only downside I've had so far is that I don't like the look of the pool filter sand. The black sand looks much better to me. And the only place I've been able to find black is at the LFS where it costs more than pool filter sand or sand blasting sand.

I have been keeping an eye out though, and I think there is a brand of sand blasting sand that is black. I have yet to get my hands on any to see if it's really usable for aquariums though.

There is a product called 3M's Color Quartz. It is used quite widly by many cichlid owners that I know from Cichlid Forum. If you go to 3M's website and do a search for color quartz, you will be able to see the colors available. From what I understand it is cheap. There is only one distributor in Canada and that is in Toronto I believe. Here is the link in the forum that dicusses color quartz sand. HTH.

I use pool filter in my 55 and black tahitin moon sand in my 30gT H. I like the moon sand better, but it was $s20 for a 20lb bag. the pool filter was 50lbs for $5.

If you’re not sure what to choose, why not try both sand and gravel in your tank. I did that with my 20g long planted tank. I got tired of how it looked so I took half of the gravel out and replaced it with sand, I love how it looks it gives it a somewhat natural look.

Wow, overwhelmingly in favour of Sand.

Thank you for all the advice, I'm sorry it took me so long to get back on and reply, but I appreciate the opinions and help.

I think I'm going to go with sand because it just looks better and sounds way easier to deal with. Thanks for the help!

What type of sand are you all using? I read pool sand above. Is this silica based or aragonite? I have 600 lbs of silica based lying around and was looking for a use. I am setting up a new 55 gal tank and was thinking maybe I can use it in there. The reason I ask is I have not used sand in a fw tank b4. I only use aragonite sand in my sw tanks, aragonite sand is expensive compared to silica sand.
Thanks,
Brian

Aragonite is not really the best sand to use because it will buffer the pH in the tank at a higher level. If you are thinking African Cichlids or SW, then it would be perfect. But anything else, I'd stick with Pool Filter Sand.

Macrosill,

Like you I have 500lbs of silica-based "all purpose" sand. I keep it for winter to put in my two cars for better traction. I will definately recommend going with pool filter sand instead. It's heavier, therefore settles quicker, and looks great. Very easy maintainence. I see your in NY, so good luck finding a pool shop open this time of year (im' in PA). It should be between $5 and $15 for a 50lb bag. Good luck.

justin

I bought my pool sand todat. 100 lbs for 14.98. I bought 200 lbs today. 100 for my tank and 100 for my new sand filter for my pool.

Back
Top Bottom