Sand and Hang In Tank filters..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a 40 gallon breeder tank in a week and I really want to add sand as substrate for this one. Has anyone had any issues with hang in tank filters with sand? Is there a better filtration idea? I am on a limited budget so I cant spend a whole lot.

I've never had issues with any of my sand substrate tanks and any kind of filter.

I've never had issues with any of my sand substrate tanks and any kind of filter.

So the occasional particles being sucked through wont harm the filter any? Does the sand ever build up inside the filter?

If you rinse the sand well before you place it into the tank, and leave your filter off (but keep media wet) for a few hours while the sand settles, you should never have anything but the smallest particles of sand in your filter. After a short time, you don't end up with even those particles.

It's a good idea to turn off the filter during water changes to prevent it from sucking up the sand.
Just some added info.

If you rinse the sand well before you place it into the tank, and leave your filter off (but keep media wet) for a few hours while the sand settles, you should never have anything but the smallest particles of sand in your filter. After a short time, you don't end up with even those particles.

Thanks for the info. I love the look of sand and a nice blue background :) Just gotta find some really colorful fish to stock it with now!

ccross said:
Thanks for the info. I love the look of sand and a nice blue background :) Just gotta find some really colorful fish to stock it with now!

I've got a piece of pantyhose over my intake just incase!

Back
Top Bottom