Sand and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which are the best snails to stir up sand?

Seems like I have read that nerites stay in the sand and are also algae eaters. My problem is not algae, but old sand that does not stay "white". If I don't run my fingers through the sand to stir it up it turns brown, but some people say stirring the sand is not good because it releases toxin build up. So, I thought one or two snails might help.

I have:
20 gallon high
25% weekly WC
one anubias
LED lights on 5 hours a day
3 inch bristlenose pleco
female kribensis
guppy
5 rummynose tetras

Which are the best snails to stir up sand?

Seems like I have read that nerites stay in the sand and are also algae eaters. My problem is not algae, but old sand that does not stay "white". If I don't run my fingers through the sand to stir it up it turns brown, but some people say stirring the sand is not good because it releases toxin build up. So, I thought one or two snails might help.

I have:
20 gallon high
25% weekly WC
one anubias
LED lights on 5 hours a day
3 inch bristlenose pleco
female kribensis
guppy
5 rummynose tetras

I'm having same issue in two of my tanks. I'll be curious to hear from people who have some experience with this :)

I would say malaysian trumpet snails, i have them in both my tanks with sand. The only thing to watch is they reproduce and can get out of hand if you feed too much.

I would say malaysian trumpet snails, i have them in both my tanks with sand. The only thing to watch is they reproduce and can get out of hand if you feed too much.

@Shellyx my tanks are heavily planted and the plants are just "getting off the ground" will they mow them down?

I love my MTS's. They also stay mostly in the substrate until late evening when they come out. They start going back into the substrate when the morning light starts lighting the room. I feel they are a good addition to a tank.

Thank you for your posts! The more info the better decicisions can be made

Back
Top Bottom