Sand as Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fathomed

Aquarium Advice Regular
Don't know if this has been asked before, but it's late and I need to sleep and I don't have much time to browse.

If I buy sand for substrate instead of gravel, will my cories suck some of it up into their stomachs? They seem to suck everything as it is in my gravel tank

Thanks.

Ps - How much do you think a lid would cost for a 78g tank? It's 48" long and I think it's 20" tall, 25" high. I'm not sure but I for the ones that sell Petsmart and my lfs, its max sizes around the equivalent for a 50g tank and that's like $150.

It's my understanding that the sand is best for cories to protect their barbels, as they search for food. I don't think you've got anything to worry about there.

Superpetz sold me a 2-part glass lid for a 75 gallon with the same dimensions (48x20 across the top, but has a center support to hold the two-part lid) for $40.

My corys love sand. Technically, I'm using 3M Colorquartz, but its the same idea. They play in it a lot.

I also recommend sand as a substrate for cories. It is safer for their barbels as compared to some gravels that have sharp corners. The only downside is that sand can become compacted. That is potentially bad and can be avoided by getting some Malaysian trumpet snails (aka 'the other MTS'). They bury themselves in the sand and come out mostly at night.

Back
Top Bottom