Sand for Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fd1906

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going with sand for my freshwater setup and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cleaning the sand. Also what kind of fish will help me with cleaning...someone told me catfish might not work well with sand. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do you mran cleanign the sand once the tank is established? Well you just do normal tank maintanence, which means use a gravel vacuum but keep it above the sand so it only picks up loose pieces. As for help with cleaning it depends on the tank size but most catfish love sand much better than gravel as it is easier on thier barbs. Cories do wonderful in sand. As do loaches which will actually bury themselves in it.

*giggles* Raybans. That was good.

Unfortunately none. Freshwater rays are fairly good sized (8-50 inches not including tail) and need a LOT of room. And a lot of extremely clean water. Tough to do in such a comparatively small tank. And apparently not legal to keep in all states.

You can read more about em here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwstingrays.htm

*edit*
Noticed you were in Dutchess fd1906; I'm just south of you in Westchester :)

Back
Top Bottom