Sand in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two questions/problems. So I have 2 ac 50 getting sand in them. So I wanted to know the best way to stop this or lessen the amount that gets I'n them. My sand isnt to fine. And is it ok to clean the sand out of both at the same time without hurting the bacteria.

I'd suggest cleaning the intake tube and impeller chamber thoroughly before the sand damages the magnet. You can pull the basket without rinsing the media and flush out the box.

What kind of sand are you using?

A sponge over the intake will help keep the sand out, but it also limits the filters ability to remove gunk from the tank.

The brand was river crystal I believe. It was as thick as Pfs that I use in my 20 g. Or seemed that way. I don't mind having to clean out the filter here and there. Would it be just as bad having the sponge there since it's a planted tank.

Kk. I have the two parts on the intake tube thingy lol. Love my tech terms. I'll take the bottom one off each.

Back
Top Bottom