Sand in fresh water aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill1981

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any advice on keeping my sand clean of waste in my aquarium? It's driving me mad at the moment im using a tea strainer, my hose works well when I'm doing a partial water change, but I need to really clean the waste daily, im considering changing to gravel because I can't seem to keep in top of the cleaning? Thanks

Sand in aquarium

Hi I'm just after some advice about cleaning the waste that drops in the sand in my aquarium, I can't seem to get on top of it! I can use my gravel Hoover but only when I'm doing a water change, and I have to keep on top of the waste daily and it still looks a bit grubby! It's driving me mad any advice would be great thanks

Andrew McFadden said:
Aim a powerhead or two down at the sand to keep it blowing around. Hopefully your filter will pick it up then

+1 I use a Koralia 1050 in my 75g African Cichlid tank and he helps a lot! Helps keep debris from settling on the substrate.

Try using a power head. I think I answered this ok another post no?

You have a double post maybe?

Anyway try keeping it to one post so it doesn't confuse others like me lol

But a power heard will work. I along with other members use them and it helps keep debris from settling on the sand. I use a Koralia 1050

Ha ha sorry about the double post I'm a newbie thanks for advice I'm gonna google one now

Directional water flow will definitely help. All of my sand tanks have flow patterns that blow the muck into one area and make it easy to clean. I use a brine shrimp net since they are very fine for daily waste pick up in-between cleanings.

Back
Top Bottom