Sand or Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maddybrat said:
Which would a beta and some African dwarf frogs prefer? And any advice in how to switch from one to the other?

Sand is awesome I now have it in all 4 of my tanks... I think it actually works quite well for ADFs bc their food won't get lost down in the spaces like gravel.... Idk that's just what I've read..

don't buy those expensive sands at your LFS. buy the cheaper play sand at home depot or lowe's. Both are the same thing.

Sand is the best.

No doubt!! LFS is to
Expensive... I like pool filter sand ... Its the best it's what I have! My grandmas tank has play sand it is kinda harder and more packed together

No doubt!! LFS is to
Expensive... I like pool filter sand ... Its the best it's what I have! My grandmas tank has play sand it is kinda harder and more packed together
That is great advice! I have always liked sand, but I was turned away because it was so much more expensive than gravel. Now, I may have to make my next tank a sand tank!:thanks:

Sand or gravel you can't go wrong. Its really based on personal preference.

Just make sure u rinse rinse rinse!!!
My dad gave me some PFS he had and it was beautiful and white so I went and bought some for my other tank at home depot and it was a dark reddish color but it's really pretty too :) heres what it looks like ....

Attachments

• image-2067694699.jpg
    image-2067694699.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1919702776.jpg
    image-1919702776.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3754365689.jpg
    image-3754365689.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 156
  • image-962723847.jpg
    image-962723847.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 157
The first tank looks sweet. I just purchased sand for my 46 bf. Going to change it today. PFS cost me$ 5.69 at homedepot

How would I go about switching from gravel and sand? Just take the gravel out and put in the sand?

I've seen a method where you fill up a 2 liter bottle with sand that has been pre-rinsed a little, then lower it into the tank right side up until it fill up with water. Then tip it over so the sand falls out but the dust particles are trapped in the bottle. Just do this after you have removed your gravel.

‪How to clean new aquariumsand the easy way.‬‏ - YouTube This video demonstrates what I was talking about.

Also if you're going to be removing your entire gravel bed, watch your parameters it may cause a mini cycle.

How deep it is, is mostly up to you. In my aquariums my substrate comes up just above the bottom border of the tank, then shallow in some spots and higher in others. The general rule of thumb is between 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon.

after reading all of these posts, i def wana try sand now! especially since i just got 3 albino cory cats and i read that they prefer sand

Sand can be stirred up by certain critters, or you'll have to stir it yourself sometimes, because bubbles can form underneath, but I think its way easier for mantienence

My 125 started out with gravel on top of dirt, now it has sand in it as well, seemed to help reduce the amount of floating junk in the tank (my "dirt" has a bit of wood pulp in it)... TBH I'm liking the look of the mixed gravel/sand.

Back
Top Bottom