Sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lafeet85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ey guys I'm about to set up a new aquarium and was wondering what is better and easier to maintain, sand or gravel. I have a sand aquarium currently but I find it really hard to keep the water crystal clear. I always have tiny particles floating around. Is that because of the sand or just cos my fitter???

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand is nice because you just have to vacuum the top layer. But the down side is that it eventually compacts down, which when you decide to vacuum it will siphon out with your vacuum hose. Becareful with the type of sand you use as it can harm the barbels on some fish.

Gravel will trap all debris and detritus so you will have to vacuum regularly.

I think you might be using sugar fine sand? Maybe try some pool sand. It's heavy enough to not float around and comes in some lovely white colors.

I myself prefer sand over gravel, when I do my cleaning with the gravel vac I just put a bucket in the sink to catch the extra sand it picks up and I put the sand right back into the tank let it settle a little bit and then turn my filters back on.

I use sand in my 65 and gravel in the 46. I chose which ones to use based on what suited the fish in those tanks best. Some fish like sand over gravel and vice versa. I haven't noticed a huge difference in cleaning except that the sand tends to be a little easier to vacuum.

I started with gravel, then decided to add sand later, so now I have a combo. It works for me and the residents; my plants are also thriving.

Attachments

• 55 gal dec.2011 (5).jpg
    55 gal dec.2011 (5).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 55 gal dec.2011 (4).jpg
    55 gal dec.2011 (4).jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 55 gal nov. 2011 (2).jpg
    55 gal nov. 2011 (2).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 98
I did a sand/gravel mix. Cichlid sand as a base and small natural gravel on top. Then I mixed a little in and moved it around.

I have a gravel tank and a sand tank.

There's pros and cons to both.

Gravel needs really regular gravel vacuuming as it traps a lot of debris. But you can get it in so many different colours and sizes so it's very versatile.

Sand looks fantastic and it's relatively easy to maintain. My plants thrive more in the sand than the gravel. BUT it looks rather messy between cleans as the fish poop stands out on top of the pale colour of the sand. You can however hover your gravel vac/siphon over the sand about a quarter of an inch above it to suction out the poop without getting the sand.

akagochi said:
I started with gravel, then decided to add sand later, so now I have a combo. It works for me and the residents; my plants are also thriving.

Very nice looking tank, your plants look AWESOME!!

Thanks! I am sooo happy and grateful to have found this hobby. Next: 100 gal cichlid tank.:brows:

Happy New Year!

I found out after putting cory catfish in my gravel tank that the gravel would hurt their barbells. And it ruined them. Next tank will be sand.

Back
Top Bottom