Sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Which do you like better? Why? I am deciding weather I should do sand or gravel in a 55 gallon (possibly bigger) tank I'm getting soon, so I'd like to hear your opinion. :)

Gravel was easier to vacuum (it didnt go up the tube).

Sand was nicer to the bottom-dwellers, and brightened up the tank (went from dark gravel to light sand). Sand is better for live plants. Sand also shows the detritus.

It's a trade-off.

Can you vacuum sand like you'd do with gravel? I don't think I'll get live plants. I thought about it... I might go with gravel... But I like the look of sand. lol. Hard to decide :p

I vacuum the sand keeping the vacuum 1/2" above the sand, but then have to dive into it once in a while to stir it up and keep algae from blooming underneath the top level.
I've been doing it for 6 months now, and just bought another 5lbs of sand to replace what was sucked up in that time. Not bad.

I think it might depend on your choice of bottom fish - Cories and Plecos prefer sand, the gravel can damage their barbs...

Ok... I think rams are bottom dwellers, aren't they? Would it be okay to have a bottom feeder in there? Sorry... I'm kind of getting off topic... Which is less expensive? sand or gravel?

Ok... I think rams are bottom dwellers, aren't they? Would it be okay to have a bottom feeder in there? Sorry... I'm kind of getting off topic... Which is less expensive? sand or gravel?

Usually sand is more expensive but I have read some people buying play sand (but read up on it because I have no idea about it!). I have a 20 gallon and just bought some sand from my LFS (10 bucks). To me it wasn't that expensive, but I also have a small tank.

I love my sand. I'm new to having an aquarium and its easy to keep up with. Had it for almost 3 months? I stir it and just vacuum right above it. Usually the little (like very little!) sand I picked up stay in the bucket when I dump bad water out, and goes back in tank with good water. My plants are thriving in it (but I also have laterite mixed in too). I love my sand more than my gravel. The gravel pit is there just for looks really.

Usually sand is more expensive but I have read some people buying play sand (but read up on it because I have no idea about it!). I have a 20 gallon and just bought some sand from my LFS (10 bucks). To me it wasn't that expensive, but I also have a small tank.

I love my sand. I'm new to having an aquarium and its easy to keep up with. Had it for almost 3 months? I stir it and just vacuum right above it. Usually the little (like very little!) sand I picked up stay in the bucket when I dump bad water out, and goes back in tank with good water. My plants are thriving in it (but I also have laterite mixed in too). I love my sand more than my gravel. The gravel pit is there just for looks really.

I spent $14 on gravel for my 10 gallon. But if you have to keep buying more sand every little while because it gets sucked up in the vacuum, in the long run its probably a lot more expensive. I don't know. It's hard to decide. :s

Sand, sand, sand, all the way!!. There has been numerous threads about this and from the ones I've read and posted in, the vast majority prefer sand. Most people who switch from gravel to sand never regret it. The trick with sand is to wash the hell out of it. It gets rid of all the dust(cloudy), light sand(that floats) and any debris. I find it so much easier to keep clean. I've had both over the years and will NEVER use gravel again. If you wash it really really well beforehand, you will get little to no sand come up the vac. Blasting sand seems to be very popular and very cheap. I think it's around $10 for 50lbs. It's also a personal choice but I think it looks way better.

Sand, sand, sand, all the way!!. There has been numerous threads about this and from the ones I've read and posted in, the vast majority prefer sand. Most people who switch from gravel to sand never regret it. The trick with sand is to wash the hell out of it. It gets rid of all the dust(cloudy), light sand(that floats) and any debris. I find it so much easier to keep clean. I've had both over the years and will NEVER use gravel again. If you wash it really really well beforehand, you will get little to no sand come up the vac. Blasting sand seems to be very popular and very cheap. I think it's around $10 for 50lbs. It's also a personal choice but I think it looks way better.

Really? I was thinking it would be harder to clean. Maybe I will use sand. I think it looks better too.

Really? I was thinking it would be harder to clean. Maybe I will use sand. I think it looks better too.
Any dirt sits on top, so it's easier to remove with the vac. People only say it looks dirtier because they can see it and the gravels not hiding it!!

The key to it is to wash it really really really well. I can't stress that enough. It'll stop your water clouding and taking days to clear at the start....

I have a 10 gallon and a 55 gallon tank! My 10 was my first and I chose gravel over sand because I too though it would be easier to clean. But in my 55 I have sand and I love it! It adds such a more natural look to the tank and if you have dark, or dark colored decorations those also look amazing with sand!! Not sure how much this helps but I prefer sand over gravel! :)

Attachments

• image-2184652684.jpg
    image-2184652684.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 95
  • image-863228696.jpg
    image-863228696.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 88
pool filter sand is 7$ for 50 lbs... If you like black, black diamond sandblasting sand is about the same price for 50 lbs.

I modified a normal gravel vac to work perfect with eco complete, I just now set up my first sand bottom so not sure how well it works but all I did was take a vacuum and cut the tube where you can hold it easy, then insert a piece of latex line or any other soft line that returns to shape with a couple barb fittings. What that does is give you an area that's really easy to pinch off to control the flow, I really like it so far. Pics if needed.

I modified a normal gravel vac to work perfect with eco complete, I just now set up my first sand bottom so not sure how well it works but all I did was take a vacuum and cut the tube where you can hold it easy, then insert a piece of latex line or any other soft line that returns to shape with a couple barb fittings. What that does is give you an area that's really easy to pinch off to control the flow, I really like it so far. Pics if needed.

Yes pics please. Sounds interesting.

I've had an aquarium of some sort or size for around 10 years and up until a year ago I always had gravel( just never wanted to invest in the actual "aquarium" sand and didn't think about the alternatives). Well I decided to get a nice big 75 gallon african cichlid tank last year and they like the sand so of course I had to make them happy. I wish I had done sand way sooner! I just got play sand(2 50lb bags was like $8 at Home Depot). Definitely wash it extremely well or you will get cloudy water for a few days til it all settles. I ended up adding seachem clarity to mine. But it looks so much better than any gravel I've ever used and it's easier to clean. It's so much fun to watch the cichlids dig around in there! :)

I also added a t8 poly cover so that I can vacuum my 24" deep tank without getting my hands wet at all. How did I seal the tube to the vac head, well as always I was in a hurry so I used a lighter to melt it to the vacuum head, ****lighters can and will blow up from prolonged use******* DONT USE A LIGHTER you'll burn your fingers maybe your house. Maybe glue it then seal it with silicone, something, not open flame.

image-73207704.jpg

See between the barbs is a piece of silicone tube from mcmaster carr, can't remember the dura but they have similar stuff at big hardware stores.

The key to it is to wash it really really really well. I can't stress that enough. It'll stop your water clouding and taking days to clear at the start....

Ok. If I do get sand I'll make sure to wash it really well :)

I made the switch from gravel to sand in my 55g a few months ago. Wish I would've done it sooner!

It does sound interesting! Pics please :D

Back
Top Bottom