Sand question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not planning on getting sand for my tank at the moment, but i've always wondered... If you have sand in your tank how do you clean it?

You just use a gravel vac either very carefully or with a fine mesh on the end.(such as a pair of tights) its easy enough to once your used to it..:)

I switched recently and I really like having sand. I'm getting better at vacuuming without disturbing it too much. I think the filter saving trick is to get pool filter sand because it has a large enough grain that if I do disturb it, it falls quickly and therefore doesn't get sucked up the intake tubes of my filters. Also, it's only about $5 for a 50 pound bag at Home Depot. The only down side to pfs is the very limited color options, but the natural color is really nice.

smileyface9 said:
Wait...but if u put tights over it how does it get the poop through??

That's a very good question lol i personally don't use anything on the end I just keep the vac about an inch away from the sand which does the job. The other important thing to remember with sand is that you frequently have to churn it up and agitate it to release trapped gases. Its usually methane build up from rotting waste etc and can be deadly to fish if left to build up.

Back
Top Bottom