Sand sand sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okaaaay, so for awhile I been wanting to change my gravel to sand and I finally got some sand ... But can I change my gavel to sand while my fish being inside??? It's only 20g.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424746648.802261.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424746679.191479.jpg
Anyone know if this is a good kind of sand???
Thanks
Bri

You have to move the fish out to change the substrate, otherwise they might get in your way, injured, or buried. Also, the water will be cloudy and sandy for a while, which won't be very fun for the fish.

All I did when I changed from gravel to sand was fill a bucket with tank water, put fish in bucket, take out all decor, take out gravel and put it in another bucket, put sand in, wait a little for the sand to settle a little, put fish, water and decor back in and ta da!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

It'll be less stressful if you take them out.

As far as cloudiness though,
follow this guy's method and there won't be a cloud. I added about 25-35 lbs of sand to my tank using the way he shows and kept my fish in the tank. No adverse effects and water remained clear.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It is quite simple. Do a large water change and clean up the gravel. Then scoop out gravel. After I suggest filling a 2-liter bottle with the sand and unscrewing the lid when at the bottom of the tank. Will not cloud up the water at all. I did this about 2 weeks ago and took me about an hour.

Thanks all of you guys!!! I really appreciate it! I need to change it soon :)

It'll be a bit stressful to your fish since its a small tank if you decide to change over with fish in it.
Get a 5 gallon plastic bucket, take out some water and put the fish in while you do the change, might also be a good idea to shut off filters while you do this to prevent sand going into them.
Once done, start the filters and put fish back. It will probably be cloudy for a day or so till it settles.

It'll be a bit stressful to your fish since its a small tank if you decide to change over with fish in it.
Get a 5 gallon plastic bucket, take out some water and put the fish in while you do the change, might also be a good idea to shut off filters while you do this to prevent sand going into them.
Once done, start the filters and put fish back. It will probably be cloudy for a day or so till it settles.

Will do :) thanks for the advice

You can put foam over your filter Intake, if your intakes are too close to the bottom. You do not want sand getting into your filter. I love my Sand tanks and will never go back to gravel. I use fluval prefilter sponges over my intakes and they fit perfectly.

And I agree, turn off your filters and possibly unplug your heater if you're going to be lowering your water levels at all. Just don't forget to plug everything back in and turn everything back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can put foam over your filter Intake, if your intakes are too close to the bottom. You do not want sand getting into your filter. I love my Sand tanks and will never go back to gravel. I use fluval prefilter sponges over my intakes and they fit perfectly.

And I agree, turn off your filters and possibly unplug your heater if you're going to be lowering your water levels at all. Just don't forget to plug everything back in and turn everything back on.

Will do thank you :)

Off topic, but I thought bamboo plants needed their leaves above water?

I over hear that if you keep them underwater you have to take them out once a week for 24 and then put it back and they would be fine. So I am trying that out for now.

I used beach sand. Rinsed it out with tap water for a few minutes and added it to the tank.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424899265.312325.jpg
My freshwater mussels love it.

I'm not sure if there are good freshwater sand sifters to help out but my brother-in-laws has had a sand substrate for a few years longer than me and he gets gas pockets.

The leaves should be above the surface of the water on bamboo.

As far as gas pockets, malaysian trumpet snails are really good for burrowing through the sand. Or just raking your fingers through it weekly or biweekly.

Had the sand for a little over a year now and haven't noticed any pockets but I also moved the tank from home to work about 3 months ago. Doing so shook up the substrate pretty good as you can imagine. I'll recommend the snails to my BIL
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424917761.318330.jpg

Had the sand for a little over a year now and haven't noticed any pockets but I also moved the tank from home to work about 3 months ago. Doing so shook up the substrate pretty good as you can imagine. I'll recommend the snails to my BIL
View attachment 265500

From what I understand, the gas pockets thing is blown way out of proportion. Apparently the gases people are worried about being trapped under the substrate become instantly non toxic as soon as they are exposed to oxygenated water. They can still look bad and create a mess by sending substrate scattering around, but not as dangerous as people make them out to be.

Back
Top Bottom