Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2003, 08:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Sand substrate questions

Hey everyone I have a friend interested in having sand in his tank, and since I've considered it... might as well ask. Basically what sand if any will help prevent deadly gas pockets from forming. My friend has a weather loach and he thought that since they like to bury themselves that the sand should be moved enough if he gets it... what do you all think? Thanks!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also would one of thos emicrobubble wooden block airators be a bad idea to put in the sand?

Old 11-06-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Quote:
Basically what sand if any will help prevent deadly gas pockets from forming.
None, all sand will compact and form anorobic bacteria. Fresh water sand beds need to be stirred every few weeks, and should not be more than 3" deep. This should prevent the buildup of the bacteria. If the weather loach is constantly digging, this will also prevent problems.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A well planted tank will also help avoid those nasty anaerobic pockets; the roots will help bring O2 into the substrate. But that means REALLY well planted. Snails can also help as they will move thru the sand. I've sand in my planted 10g; at the deepest its about 3 inches, but I have a ton of plants running roots throughout it.

I wouldn't put the microbubble thingie in the sand; it will likely continue to kick sand into water column, which will get pulled into the filter and trash the impeller.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I keep Malaysian Trumpet Snails in all of my tanks with sand substrate. They do an excellent job of burrowing through the sand and keeping it well aerated.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

are they freshwater? (sporry for the dumb question) are they called by any other names... like do pet stores sell them?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, I thought they were sw too. Maybe they're compatible with both?

http://centralpets.com/pages/critter.../FWI4996.shtml

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know if Malaysian Trumpets will survive in saltwater-- but they'll do well in almost any type of freshwater environment. I've currently got them in my Rift Lake biotope tanks, as well as a planted Endler tank. They're thriving in both conditions!

I have a HUGE population of MT snails in the tank I grow Java moss in; if I can figure out a cost-effective way to ship them, I'd be more than happy to share what I've got with anyone interested in them.

They're great additions to any tank: they'll eat algae, scavenge uneaten food, and keep the substrate aerated. Best of all- they don't eat plants or bother eggs/fry!

Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand, sand substrate, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com