Sand sustrate pics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boadams87 said:
You may be better off looking at them on youtube. What are you looking for?

Ok I'll check on there. Just trying to get some ideas goin before I switch over to sand

Paxdaddy said:
Ok I'll check on there. Just trying to get some ideas goin before I switch over to sand

I've got black diamond blasting sand in mine, it all depends on what color ur wanting!

here are my two different tanks the 1st is of play sand i got from home depot
and the second is the black sand from petco(reverse that)

Attachments

• 100_1694.jpg
    100_1694.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_1695.jpg
    100_1695.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 186
Both of mine have pfs from a local pool supply store. $8 for a 50lb bag.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120212_001434.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120212_001434.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 168
  • ForumRunner_20120212_001448.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120212_001448.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 179
You can see pics of my sand tanks via my profile. I've exceeded my limit on pics apparently. I love the look of black sand. I love the look of white as well, but worry it will show debris too easily. I think my fish color up better on dark substrate and my plants really "pop".

ForumRunner_20120212_111547.jpg

the expensive white sand that your lfs sells

And this is after i.switched it to play sand. I thought the expensive white sand showed to much poop lol

ForumRunner_20120212_111737.jpg

GodFan said:
How do you keep the sand from turning gray? Mine is very grey.

Just stir the top a little when I do water changes. My corries keep it kicked up pretty good though.

White sand substrate with an Asian theme. Black sand with a gothic theme. Before you choose sand, just be aware that sand never fully settles. For me, it was a nightmare on my filtration systems, burning out both the motors and the intake propellers (I'm blanking on the official name for that. . . gah, can't close my mind around it. . . impellers?) multiple times. I finally had to go back to gravel substrate. Just an FYI. Good luck with your tank!

Attachments

• DSC00200 (2).jpg
    DSC00200 (2).jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00279.jpg
    DSC00279.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 176
Just stir the top a little when I do water changes. My corries keep it kicked up pretty good though.
ok thanks!
White sand substrate with an Asian theme. Black sand with a gothic theme. Before you choose sand, just be aware that sand never fully settles. For me, it was a nightmare on my filtration systems, burning out both the motors and the intake propellers (I'm blanking on the official name for that. . . gah, can't close my mind around it. . . impellers?) multiple times. I finally had to go back to gravel substrate. Just an FYI. Good luck with your tank!
That depends on the type of sand you buy. Pool filter sand settles very quickly because of the large grains.

Also hob filters and sand are not very good friends with each other lol. I went though like 3filters before I finally switched my 40g to gravel. My canister hasn't had any problems with the sand

Joe5688 said:
Also hob filters and sand are not very good friends with each other lol. I went though like 3filters before I finally switched my 40g to gravel. My canister hasn't had any problems with the sand

I've got a pair of pantyhose over my intake!

How do I know which sand has silicates in it? I don't want problems with diatoms.

How do I know which sand has silicates in it? I don't want problems with diatoms.
Im not sure on all sands but I know that PFS has it listed on the bag. I dont think it will pose a big issue though. Most people suggest PFS as the best sand.

That depends on the type of sand you buy. Pool filter sand settles very quickly because of the large grains.

Does it come in different colors? And would I buy it at a pool supply company? Man, practically no one has a pool here in Denver, lol! I've never seen a pool supply company around here ever! I suppose it could be ordered, yes? Thanks for the idea!

Twoapennything said:
Does it come in different colors? And would I buy it at a pool supply company? Man, practically no one has a pool here in Denver, lol! I've never seen a pool supply company around here ever! I suppose it could be ordered, yes? Thanks for the idea!

Walmart carries it during the summer

Back
Top Bottom