Sand type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to know what the majority of people prefer in a planted sand tank. White or black. I have never done either one and will be starting a tank with sand soon

I want to know what the majority of people prefer in a planted sand tank. White or black. I have never done either one and will be starting a tank with sand soon

I really like the look of the black blasting sand I have in my 55g. It was definitely a pain to rinse, though, I spent 4 hours washing a 50lb. bag.

I have a 55 too. Did you need the entire bag?

I like the black but I have White sand. It's really natural to look at but I would prefer black since it makes the fishes colour pop more.

I have both a white sand and black sand planted tank. Looking at them both I would seriously suggest going with a black substrate as opposed to the white. Grime shows way too much on the white substrate and while it isn't bad in a non planted tank it is worse in a planted tank.

I have two types of sand in one of my 6' tanks- fine white sad, and a course natural (brown) river sand. I like the contrast of the colours and textures.

I'm getting black blasting sand.

I think if you're looking for the coolness pop factor, go with black.

If you're looking for a more natural look, go with white.

Black was 19$ a bag for the smallest bag! I got a 50lb bag of white for 12$

I really wanted to do black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'd buy some and ship some to you but it'll probably cost quite a bit to ship. More than just buying it at your store.

Where is your location? I can try to find some for you. :)

Okay found it for you :)

Tractor's Supply it is $8.00!! (That's where i'm getting mine. Same price for the both of us!)

LOL you are so close to the border you have to leave to Connecticut to get there! Lol!!

Enfield 10 miles away (from your city)
Belcher Town 14 miles away
Vernon 15 miles away

Those are your 3 closest locations.
Enfield's address (your closest one) is...

67 Palomba drive
Enfield CT 06082

And the phone number is 860-749-2853

Hope I helped :)

Yes thank you! You helped greatly! I already have white sand now so I guess ill just put it back into the bag. Ill have to decide if it is worth it to go with black now

Back
Top Bottom