Sand Types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMeyer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for some black sand to put in my tank. I want something pretty cheap, but also still of a decent quality. I was thinking of black diamond blasting sand. Anyone got any suggestions?

Just about any natural and sterilized sand will work in your aquarium. I also know that this sand is occasionally used by aquarists and works well for them, but can be a bit coarse. All in all whatever works best for your tank is what you should go with!

What kind of fish are you wanting to stock the tank with?

People use the blasting "sand" all the time. It is coal slag. If you want soft belly sand digger type fish it can be a little sharp is my understanding. I would not want it for my personal tank due to sharpness and my liking Cory and other type bottom dweller which this would not be beneficial for.
Frequently Asked Questions

There is also a ocean sand like Nature's Ocean which comes with live bacteria, you could likely find some other kind which doesn't have the live Marine / SW bacteria, comes in black. May raise your pH. Also if you are doing a fishless cycle the dying marine/SW bacteria will add to the ammonia to some degree and that woud be alright. Possibly the die off if putting it into a tank with fish could cause a mini cycle, problems with parameters initially. But after the die off of SW BB you would be able to use it.

I have mbuna cichlids. There's rocks in the tank now I'm looking to make the switch over to sand.

Love their sands.

That one is black AND white though.

Which ever one you decide just make sure to be careful. Sand (and gravel) really does hold a bunch of BB, and it is easy to mess up your tank parameters, even if you have a cycled tank.

You could do it pretty gradually. Shift all the substrate over towards one side, then add the new sand in the other side, gradually each week removing a few scoops of the pebbles. If you used a sieve you could get most all the gravel and leave the sand behind, or separate it in a bucket outside of the tank.

Would recommend doing a decent clean on the filter about 3 weeks before the substrate change to give plenty of time to recover and no rinsing the week before or after. Making extra sure to get the water to excellent parameters (extra water changes) before the substrate change too. Preserving as much BB as possible will help it go more smoothly.

Last edited:
I cleaned my filter about two weeks ago so we're looking good

I'm not really interested in using it, but the thought just came to me. Has anyone ever used cat litter as a sand-like substrate?

Cat litter has a following. Google you will find some threads.

It's a bit pricey, but I bought National Geographic brand black sand at Petsmart and I'm surprised at how much I really like it. It looks great and the grains are heavy enough to fall back down after the fish sift through it or if I accidentally suck some into the siphon while vacuuming. I don't think you'd need to be concerned about sharp edges either.

Pool filter sand sold at any pool supply store. I paid 12 bucks for 50 lbs and looks great if you like an off white color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pool filter sand sold at any pool supply store. I paid 12 bucks for 50 lbs and looks great if you like an off white color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've used that plenty of times too. It also has a nice grain size that is heavy enough not to get sucked up the filter intake if it's disturbed.

I went ahead and bought the Black Diamond stuff. It was only $8 for 50 lbs so I figured if I can't use it I'm only out 8 bucks. I got the fine grain size and it feels very smooth. I think it'll work fine.

I went ahead and bought the Black Diamond stuff. It was only $8 for 50 lbs so I figured if I can't use it I'm only out 8 bucks. I got the fine grain size and it feels very smooth. I think it'll work fine.
Youll be happy

The cat litter has a cousin the Oil Absorber stuff you can get at the auto parts store, giant bag for ~$6-10. Basically the same material. But not used it.

It's a bit pricey, but I bought National Geographic brand black sand at Petsmart and I'm surprised at how much I really like it. It looks great and the grains are heavy enough to fall back down after the fish sift through it or if I accidentally suck some into the siphon while vacuuming. I don't think you'd need to be concerned about sharp edges either.
I am also looking into the sand, because I hate gravel, and I was thinking about this brand

You can't really argue with that price!!! As it is blasting sand it should be pretty clean I would think? How was yours?

You can't really argue with that price!!! As it is blasting sand it should be pretty clean I would think? How was yours?

It wasn't too bad. I didn't really wash it as well as I should've since I went outside to wash it at night and there was snow everywhere--I wasn't really feeling it. The water cleared up pretty quickly though.

It wasn't too bad. I didn't really wash it as well as I should've since I went outside to wash it at night and there was snow everywhere--I wasn't really feeling it. The water cleared up pretty quickly though.

Understand about the snow thing, lol. Nice to hear you are having good results so far.

Is it magnetic? Always wondered about that.

Back
Top Bottom