Sand vac advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had sand for quite some time now. But lately it seems like double the amount of sand is being sucked up when I vac the bottom. I understand my vac may be clogged in some way.

With that being said, anyone have any advise on cleaning it? Doesn't seem like it's supposed to be taken apart.

Or advice on other ways of getting the poo off the sand? Just seems like I'm going to be replacing it way faster than I used to and that could get annoying, repeatedly cleaning sand.

Thank you in advance!

Try keeping the syphon above the sand and make a tight circle motion to creat a tornado like effect. That will kick up the light stuff and leave the sand in place. Move along the bottom of the tank doing that instead of sticking the syphon into the sand.

Thank you for your super quick response! I'm sorry I didn't put enough in my first post. I have tried that but it seems like nothing sucks up unless i stick down in the sand. I will try kicking it up even more but I think there might be a prob with my siphon.

Well if your syphon is strong enough to suck up sand, then it should easily pick up the poop and other debris.

It does but then it gets half way up and falls back down and out. But I'll work at it and try to clean it out. Thank you!

That looks like a great idea! Thank you! I will have to try it out when I clean my tank in a couple of days! I will let you know!

I was too anxious to try it I cleaned my tank tonight, and wooowww!! What a difference!! There was barely any sand in my buckets and when there was it was because I wasn't used to the shortness of the tube n slipped up with water. It picks up debri better than I imagined! Everyone needs to see that vid! Lol seriously just using the tubing is so much better. Thank yooouuuuu!!!!

Back
Top Bottom