Sandblasting a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Disastroues

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone out there ever sandblasted the back piece of glass on a fish tank? I know there is the option of painting it but I don't want just paint I'm looking to do something more unique. I'm aware that the glass used for fish tanks is tempered I'm just wondering if sandblasting it to give it a frosted look would weaken the glass in any way.

I haven't gotten the tank yet this is a future set up that I was planning for after I move. Thanks in advance for any information or tips.
J

Hey, cool idea. Perhaps a good approach would be to etch a design into a separate piece of glass and then bond it to the back glass of the tank (outside). My thinking: a) etching the tank itself might lead to the panel failing due to water pressure; b) an etched surface in the tank would be an awesome algae habitat - and not in a good way.

I am thinking you just want that frosted look ? You can buy glass etch to do that. It's a paste you apply that literally etches the glass. Corrosive, you bet. It's acid, but you wear gloves and put down papers. No chance of breaking the glass or going too far with the blasting.

I think you rinse it off with water, but it will say on the jar. Craft stores should have it. Be much easier to control where it goes, I'd think, than sand blasting.

Or, just get the vinyl adhesive sheet that looks frosted. Only brand I can think of is MacTack, but places like WalMart ought to have it. Stick that on the back. Same look, quite inexpensive, and you can remove it if you ever get unhappy with it.

Back
Top Bottom