Sanitizing a tank after fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
It is with a sad heart that I am saying that our Female Betta, Miss Betta, has passed on to the big fish pond in the sky. She was clinging to life for about the last 5-7 days. She passed last night. I just finished burying her.

She was in a 5g Fluval Spec... very nice tank. We want to move our red male Betta into the tank now.

What is the best way to sanitize the tank? Should we run a 50/50 solution of water & white vinegar through it or would hot water be enough?

We want to sanitize the tank from whatever killed our little dear friend, but we also of course don't want to hurt Mr. Red.

I would say the vinegar solution should be alright with hot water. However, I would definitely rinse everything well, and re-cycle the tank and check your parameters before you allow Mr. Red into his new habitat. :) Maybe take some of the media from the tank he's in and put it into the new place? It would probably stress him far less as he would be in an environment with bacteria he already knows. :)

Back
Top Bottom