Sanitizing Used Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidsquiggle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I have a "quick" question about sanitizing aquarium equipment: I have a few older pieces I'm going to want to use in the near future (Penguin 200 filter sans biowheel- I have a new biowheel on hand, a piece of mopani wood, a rock cave, a plastic cave, and a handful of plastic plants). They've been in storage for at least a year, but the tank they came from was in pretty bad shape, so I hesitated to use them as-is.

First I boiled the mopani and the rock cave. I then put all the plastic decorations in a bucket with a mild bleach solution (about 1 cup in 3 gal), let them soak and ran the water through the filter for five minutes. Then I rinsed everything off (took the filter apart and rinsed all the pieces), filled the bucket up with clean water, added some dechlorinator, and soaked/ran the filter for about an hour.

I don't need the pieces right away, so if I let everything dry out completely for a while, I should be good, right? No diseases or bleach left? I know I'm probably just being paranoid at this point, but I thought I'd get a second opinion just in case (most of it will go in a new QT tank, but I want the filter as an addition to my main tank. Since I've only got one fish at the moment, and I've had him for several years, I want to be extra sure it's safe). Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom