Sanity check on 75 gallon stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been gradually stocking my 75 gallon for the last 3 months (other than initial batch of fish moved over from my old 30 gallon plus their filter), and I'm getting close to finishing stocking... I was using the Aqadvisor stocking calculator as a guide to double check, but I wanted to double check with actual people rather than a mindless calculator ;)

Here's the current setup:
75 gallon planted community tank:
Fish-
1 male King Betta
8 male Guppies
8 Neon Tetras
6 Black Neon Tetras
6 Hangel Rasboras
5 Dwarf Chain Loaches
1 Reticulated Hillstream Loach
2 African Dwarf Frogs
3 Otos
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 male American Flagfish

Additional Info-
GLO dual T5HO lighting fixture with 6700K and Colormax bulbs (54W each)
Marineland Emperor 400 filter
Rena Filstar XP3 filter
20 inch LED bubble wall
Dosed with Seachem Excel, Flourish, and Iron supplements
20-30 gallon water changes weekly
Moderately planted for now, aiming for heavily planted once everything finishes growing in.

Still left on my stocking plan:
1-2 pearl gourami
4 opaline gourami (technically a combination of the various color morphs, with regular opaline, platinum, and lavender, pending availability, adding at same time as pearls to avoid territories getting established early)
1 red tail black shark (adding last to avoid territorial issues)

I also really wanted to add a school of danios (going back and forth between Fire Ring Danios or a mix of Leopard or Zebra Danios), but I wasn't sure if that would be pushing it with the rest of my stock. I just love their personalities.... When I stick everything into Aqadvisor (assuming only one pearl gourami, not two) I'm at 95% stocking if I leave out the danios... Since I'm overfiltering, will have a lot of plants, and am doing large weekly water changes, would they work, or is this a bad idea? Thanks!

It's sounds about full to me, as is. Watch the betta closely. He may or may not get on with the guppies. Bettas can snap and attack out of nowhere. Also watch the filter flows not too much for him. Do you hand feed your ADFs? They can starve or drown in larger tanks.
If you add anything I'd add only one gourami because they can be aggressive towards their own kind, the betta might not get on with them and more than one would start to overstock IMO.
AqAdviser is a fun toy IMO but wouldnt trust it to stock a tank.

Yep, I've been careful with the betta. This is the second one in a row I've kept with male guppies and haven't had any issues so far in the last 2 months that he's been in the tank. There's a fair bit of current for the Hillstream Loach, but since the betta has short fins he seems to actually enjoy the current. There's a quiet corner that he can retreat to when tired, but most of the time he's playing in the bubble wall. I still keep an eye on him though.

The frogs are fed directly via a turkey baster, I track them down and give them a good chunk of thawed brine shrimp right in front of them, so no worries there. Both are full grown and haven't had any issues getting to the surface for air, or when they're lazy they just nab bubbles straight from the bubble wall ;)

If I can only add one more fish then I'd be adding the red tail shark, as that was my husbands only request for the fish tank. I've held off adding it till last since I know they can be aggressive about their territories if you add fish after them. I was thinking I'd still have room for the shark plus the gourami group due to the overfiltering, live plants, and large weekly water changes... Do those not matter?

Luananeko said:
Yep, I've been careful with the betta. This is the second one in a row I've kept with male guppies and haven't had any issues so far in the last 2 months that he's been in the tank. There's a fair bit of current for the Hillstream Loach, but since the betta has short fins he seems to actually enjoy the current. There's a quiet corner that he can retreat to when tired, but most of the time he's playing in the bubble wall. I still keep an eye on him though.

The frogs are fed directly via a turkey baster, I track them down and give them a good chunk of thawed brine shrimp right in front of them, so no worries there. Both are full grown and haven't had any issues getting to the surface for air, or when they're lazy they just nab bubbles straight from the bubble wall ;)

If I can only add one more fish then I'd be adding the red tail shark, as that was my husbands only request for the fish tank. I've held off adding it till last since I know they can be aggressive about their territories if you add fish after them. I was thinking I'd still have room for the shark plus the gourami group due to the overfiltering, live plants, and large weekly water changes... Do those not matter?

Good to know you have it under control :)

I would be wary of adding the rts. They get pretty nasty I had one kill two peppered cories and terrorize a Betta a had. He's now standing his own ground against African cichlids the same size as himself. It's up to you but be prepared to move or rehome as it matures.

Over filtering, plants and water changes only get you so far. If your tank is running smoothly, nitrates are kept under control and there is enough swimming space you could try a single gourami but as a mentioned be prepared and have a back up plan if it all goes wrong. I really advise against multiple gouramis in a tank. They just don't get along IME.

Red tails tend to be hit or miss it seems... I've heard of some co-existing peacefully with everyone, while others are complete terrors. My LFS is pretty willing to take in fish that don't end up working out, so I'll try it and be ready to rehome as necessary.

For gourami it seems like the rule is either to keep just one, or a group of 5+. When you have 5+ they tend to spread out the aggression to the point that no one is overly stressed. Kinda similar to when keeping all male guppies. I've been researching them for the last month straight, so I think I've got a good plan for keeping them under control... Lots and lots of hiding places and things to break line of sight, plus adding them at the same time so no one is on home turf seems to go a long way towards preventing aggression when I have kept other semi-aggressive fish in the past. And if worst comes to worst, they'll be rehomed. I just hate the thought of constantly wondering if it would have worked or not ;)

Back
Top Bottom