Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Saved a Swordtail

Hello! I've never kept a swordtail before, so here is the back story.
I was looking in a pet store and wandered over to the fish for sale. Of course there were "feeders" for sale at $2 each, all of them were Livebearers, at the back of the tank amongst the platties and guppies I saw a long tail, low and behold a swordtail! And he looked healthy, alert yet nervous - I couldn't help myself, I couldn't imagine the little guy being fed to a fish who wouldn't be able to deliver a swift death (he was obviously the longest fish in the tank so if he was fed to a medium sized fish it wouldn't be a pleasant way to go&hellip
He looked like a wild green swordtail except with blue rather then yellow undertones to his green sword.

There was only female swordtails available for sale under the title "swordtails" at $7 each so I didn't get any others because I was with my bf so I was going to buy it for his tank; my bf is very intelligent, has animal experience (both his parents are veterinarians), however he is a novice fish keeper (so I didn't want him to have to deal with fry) in the tropical department, (he has kept telescope type goldfish when growing up and recently I've given him a very young betta splendens which he is very good at caring for).
We are growing out the juvenile betta in a 20+L tank then we'll move it to a community tank.

The swordtail doesn't seem interested in schooling and is living with a female betta in a 34L long at my bf's place - they both get along and neither shows aggression to each other (the female betta is a really good girl).

I know that it was an impulse buy but now that I've got him can anyone give me any tips?
I've heard that nippy fish are a no no. How do you think Endler Livebearers would go with a swordtail?
Are there any good plants for swordtails?
How can I persuade him to feed?
Are there any big no no's that I may not know about?

I know he isn't in an ideal environment at the moment and my bf and I would love to give him a healthy home to live.

ps I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He'll be fine. Actually the males only really show aggression to other males, including male platies.

I raise green swordtails and sell them occasionally.

Here's my guy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3498180153.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	183951

Also my swords aren't picky eaters. They eat flake, algae wafers, freeze dried bloodworm, live mosquito larvae and brine shrimp.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glad to hear you saved him! He shouldn't do bad, and is likely nervous at being in a new setting. He will likely show an interest in food after a few days.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wild swordtails are beautiful but under appreciated. It's great that you rescued him.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you! I think wild swordtails are so pretty. He seems to be doing better. His interactions with the betta are funny xP

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com