Saved goldfish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwohlge1 said:
I have a mystery snail with mine. I had about 20 pond snails in my 44g while I was cycling it. My Oranda ate them all within an hour when I moved him over. It was impressive.

Thanks! I don't mind if they eat pond snails.

jlk said:
I dont know about snails. I have heard rumors that some goldfish will eat them but i dont know if theres any truth to it! In respect to sex, i dont think that will be an issue for now. They all look quite small. Sexing goldfish can be difficult as well. Until they are mature & in prime breeding condition, you probably will not what you have (boys or girls). Goldfish generally do not waste energy on reproduction unless they can afford to expend it. The males will develop breeding tubercules on their gill plates & pectoral fins; females will be rounder & slightly lopsided when viewed from above. Theres also other things you can look for (thickness of pec fins, whether their vent is convex/concave etc). Males will chase & bump the females though i have a tank of males & they do this to each other! I really wouldnt be concerned with their sex unless their behavior becomes an issue.

Ok, thanks. So nothing to worry about... Yet :) Another question (I feel totally stupid asking this) All types of goldfish breed together don't they?

3 stores and 2 screaming kids later and I finally found some hikari pellets! They're the floating kind but they will be 100% better than the tetra, aquaone and wardley flakes at the other stores. These fish won't know themselves!

image-2511314797.jpg

Its a bit milky looking but i think it should clear up with healthy water!! It really doesnt look that bad esp considering what he was living in! Just make sure you give them some daily veggies in addition to their food to prevent any floatiness from the floating pellets. Cooked broccoli florets are a great one because they can pick on them all day long. :)

jlk said:
Its a bit milky looking but i think it should clear up with healthy water!! It really doesnt look that bad esp considering what he was living in! Just make sure you give them some daily veggies in addition to their food to prevent any floatiness from the floating pellets. Cooked broccoli florets are a great one because they can pick on them all day long. :)

Thanks. They had peas and soaked pellets yesterday. Considering they had only seen flakes for a couple of years it only took them a minute to figure it was food :)

The eyes don't look that bad at all. It looks to be mostly in the slime coat, so prob just a surface ailment. I agree clean water is likely all that is needed.

Apple or nerites are good snails to go with goldfish. Nerites are great algae cleaners as well. I wouldn't put baby snails in with them ... anything less than 1/2" is a snack!

jsoong said:
The eyes don't look that bad at all. It looks to be mostly in the slime coat, so prob just a surface ailment. I agree clean water is likely all that is needed.

Apple or nerites are good snails to go with goldfish. Nerites are great algae cleaners as well. I wouldn't put baby snails in with them ... anything less than 1/2" is a snack!

Thanks. I was going to have ramshorns but read they could get stuck in their mouths/throat so they're out. I'm pretty sure nerites aren't available here :( so I'm going to get mystery/apples I think. They get huge so no problem with them getting eaten. :)

You know I think the eye is clearing already. When I first noticed it it looked like a cataract then yesterday was milky like the pic. :)

Apple snails are little poop machines! I loved mine so much. Feeding algae wafers at night will speed up their growth, mine grew from quarter sized to golfball sized in a little over a month!

Sssea said:
Apple snails are little poop machines! I loved mine so much. Feeding algae wafers at night will speed up their growth, mine grew from quarter sized to golfball sized in a little over a month!

I've got 5 more in 2 other tanks :) I love them too! I was going to move a couple across to the goldies but I think I'm going to buy more :D

Ok, test results.
pH 8! Double checked. My tap water is usually 7.6. Will have to check it again.
NH3/ NH4 0 - 0.25ppm slightly green. Nothing too much to worry about yet.
NO2 0
NO3 0 maybe a smidge more.
Not doing a PWC YET but will tonight after more testing to see what my params are doing. Really hoping the old gravel and tiny sponge from the old filter are going to be enough to have the tank cycled.
The filter I made is working a lot better than I expected. Finding it hard to find any waste. Getting good water flow. I found a powerhead on eBay for $5 so I bought it to make another one. Wont be as strong as the one I've already got, only 400L/hour. The search continues for a canister.
Today the moore is obsessed with the gold one. He/she is following him/her everywhere. Head right between the others tail.

Haha!!! They are DEF feeling better!!! You may just have a mix of males & females but only time will tell. My males chase each other constantly though! :)

jlk said:
Haha!!! They are DEF feeling better!!! You may just have a mix of males & females but only time will tell. My males chase each other constantly though! :)

Yay! They are chowing down on some broccoli at the moment. Must feel like heaven!
Can you tell me what kind the gold and the white ones are? I've been trying to figure it out but they don't look like anything I can find. They look like a cross between vailtail and fantail. Haha they are probably just a mish mash of a few different kinds.

image-1315452154.jpg

image-3217601794.jpg

Sssea said:

Good luck giving them wafers with goldfish. If you figure this put let me know. Goldfish will eat anything.

What exactly are they? Mmm...they do have very showy fins but the chances of them being purebred veiltails is unlikely. The dorsal fin would be longer, higher & the tail would be more 'squared'. Probably some sort of fantail cross (with broadtail or veiltail?). Heres a good link on veiltails (if it works...) with an explanation/pic of what i mean by squared.
Veiltail Goldfish, Left

jlk said:
What exactly are they? Mmm...they do have very showy fins but the chances of them being purebred veiltails is unlikely. The dorsal fin would be longer, higher & the tail would be more 'squared'. Probably some sort of fantail cross (with broadtail or veiltail?). Heres a good link on veiltails (if it works...) with an explanation/pic of what i mean by squared.
Veiltail Goldfish, Left

Thanks. I'll have a look :)

jlk said:
Veiltail Goldfish, Left

I see what you mean. They kind of have the long flowing fins like the vailtail but there tails have 4 parts (like a fantail?) and the vails have 2.

Nice mutts!!!! I have one too (well, i have yet to get a definitive answer on what exactly he is- a mutt or a genetic anomaly). Beware! You have now caught the goldfish bug!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom