Scaredy Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
For a long time now my fish, even the schools in good numbers, seem to be petrified of me. They hide behind plants, wood, whatever, anytime I am anywhere near the tank or even in the room. Even now I am across the room right now (20-25ft) and they are no where to be seen.

I never traumatize them, antigonize them or anything. It has nothing to do with the water parameters (trust me, I know where they need to be and they are fine.) This behavior just seemed to develop out of no where.

Sure, vacuuming the tank isn't probably their favorite event, but it's not like I'm ever going after them. Anybody have any experience with this and can offer any advice? I'm getting tired of maintaining a tank of fish I never get to see.

How much cover do you have in the tank? Fish are more secure and lively if they have many places to hide if they feel threatened.

That's the problem, theyhave plenty of places to hide...so I never see them. It's not just that they act timid, it's that's they are permanently out of sight behind items in the tank.

Something I didn;t mention is that they barely even emerge when it's feeding time. A couple of Rummynoses will dart out form the plants to grab a piece of flake almost at the bottom of the tank. And then, it's not like they casually swim around...it's RIGHT back to under the root or plant that they were hiding under before they "shot out" for a peice of food.

Mine have been like that too since I added more places for them to hide. They do come out at feeding time though. I started feeding more sinking type pellets (I have shrimp and a vegetable based kind), so then are out eating that for a while after I feed them. They aren't always hiding, but they spend a good portion of their time at least hiding or going in and out of the caves and crevices between decorations.

Some species are naturally more timid than others. I'm a big rummy nose fan and I know it can take them weeks to feel at home. The key to a succesful aquarium is patience.

BrianNY said:
I'm a big rummy nose fan and I know it can take them weeks to feel at home.

I'm glad you said that. I love my rummies, my favorite in the tank, but they're still timid, but I've only had them a week. Hopefully they;ll come out more in the near future.

BrianNY said:
Some species are naturally more timid than others. I'm a big rummy nose fan and I know it can take them weeks to feel at home. The key to a succesful aquarium is patience.

Well, that's kind of my problem. I've had them for months and they were much less timid when I got them. The timidity is new and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

I guess they just feel more secure hidden, so if they can, they will. Oh well.

I may be moving across the country soon so they all might be going back to the LFS anyway. :(

Alot of times if the room that your tank is in is really bright, say it has skylights, and you walk by, the change of light entering the tank, shadows, really freak them out. I have found that if the fish are not relatively new, still acclimating to new tank, and behave in this manner it could be the lighting issue I just explained or high nitrAtes.

I never asked how many rummy nose you have. They do feel more secure in larger groups. 6 should be a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom