Scarlet Badis/Dario Dario information?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering buying some Badis for one of my 10g planteds once the guppies I'm growing out go to new homes, but would like some information on them. It seems like every website I've looked at has information differing from the other, so I'd like to see what you guys thought about them?

How many would be a good number for a 10? Any specific sex ratio? I assume more females than males, but am I able to have more than 1 male in that size of a tank? What type of food works best for them, tropical flakes/pellets?

Any personal experience with them? Are they pretty calm, or energetic? Do they have a lot of bioload, or is a filter rated for the tank size or double good enough?

I know, lots of questions, I'd just like to get some information straight before I spend money on them.

I have had and am going to have these fish! They are probably the most beautiful fish in the hobby (at least on the freshie side) and are very very entertaining to watch!
In a 10 gallon you could have either; 2m5f or 1m6f or 4 maybe 5 males.
They are extremely difficult to sex at a young age and females are incredibly rare. The males are territorial and you should have plenty of breaks in the line of sight.
Food wise they will need frozen food. Mine did eat flake however you should not rely on that completely. Whatever you feed it ABSOLUTLY MUST BE TINY!! These guys are really really small and will not bite a chunk out of anything. Also they tend to only eat things floating in the water column so no fast sinking food.
They have almost not bioload either btw.
I will be keeping mine with some rcs, ottos, and halfbeaks. In a 10 gallon I would recomend rcs as tankmates. Your hope is that they will eat some shrimplets so they eat less flake.
Filter wise be careful as mine go sucked up my aquaclears. Prefilter is a must. On such a small tank I highly recomend marina slim series filters.
Hope this helps and anything else you need to knkw just ask! These are my absolute favourite fish!

Yeah I disabled the filter that came with my tank and am using a sponge filter with mine. Didn't want to take any chances. I love mine! They are right next to my chair in the living room so I watch them all the time.

Yeah I disabled the filter that came with my tank and am using a sponge filter with mine. Didn't want to take any chances. I love mine! They are right next to my chair in the living room so I watch them all the time.

They are awesome awesome little fish!

I have a total of 18 Scarlet Badis and 7 Dario sp Juanita Hill and they will go around and hunt/forage for food in plants and off the bottom. They don't only eat from the water column.

I have a total of 18 Scarlet Badis and 7 Dario sp Juanita Hill and they will go around and hunt/forage for food in plants and off the bottom. They don't only eat from the water column.

Sweet! I have only seen them eat from the water column. My bad. I would still not pick a fast sinking food but it is nice to know they forage!

Back
Top Bottom