Scavenger Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentallylost

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anybody have any ideas on a scavenger fish for my 80 gallon tank? Other inhabitants include
2 Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil with about 50 fry
7 Lamprologus Multifasciatus with about 13 fry
3 Tropheus sp. "Red"
1 Neolamprologus Cylindricus
1 Julidochromis Marlieri

I need something that:
1) Is not too aggressive.
2) Is able to hold his own.
3) Adult size is no more than 4 1/2 inches.
4) Will not eat the fry.
5) Something a little different.

Any ideas?

How about Synodontis ocellifer. I know the synodontis get big but the ocellifer doesn't get a big as most. Should be within your size range and peaceful omnivores.

Another synodontis suggestiand more commonly found would be the upside down cat.

I recommend ghost shrimp, they are not fish................but they are nice looking and cheap. I just some jumbo ones at a LFS I have never seen any this big but they are about 2 inches. They are normally about 1 inch. THey are neat little critters. :p

Pictus cats might do the trick for you... I've had them in with my Africans for awhile now... very slow growers and scavenge actively.

I like the Synodontis Ocellifer, but it gets a little too big (8") for my tank. I am looking for more in the 4" to 6" range.

Ghost shrimp are neat little critters, but would just end up as fish food in my tank. I would end up with happy Cichlids though. :twisted:

And the last time that I had a Pictus cat, well lets just say that I learned about the horrors of ick and the need to quarantine new fish. I am still hesitant to try them again.

Now, the upsidedown cat or Synodontis nigriventris is an interesting cat. I have read that these are also very effecient egg eaters. Eggs I can handle, if they leave the fry alone after they have hatched. Anyone have experience with these?

I forgot to mention that I am looking to have a group of 6 or so.

mentallylost said:
And the last time that I had a Pictus cat, well lets just say that I learned about the horrors of ick and the need to quarantine new fish. I am still hesitant to try them again.

Sounds like you need the challange of doing things right! ROFL!...
If you like them get the QT ready... :p

The nigriventis may work well (I have not known them to eat fry), the pictus would inhale fry, I am afraid. You might be able to get away with some mid-sized corys, but you are really limited by those fry.

Back
Top Bottom