school of cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok

i know corys are a schooling fish, and i have 4 emerald cories in my 180 currently. what would be the max amount i could add to the school before they separate into 2 separate schools...

agreed. I have never heard of separate school of cories. I know they are happiest in larger numbers, so maybe add a few at a time and observe them for a while, and then add more if you so wish.

I think you could easily have 20 in there, and if you research their habits in the wild, this is much more like what they are accustomed to, and they would be in pure heaven. Also, it would be a real thrill to see that school in a decent sized tank moving across the bottom!

I read somewhere that in the wild cories will school in a group of several hundred of themselves and other species of cories.

cool, thanks for the info...

i'm thinking a school of 20-25 will be about right in the tank. hopefully my pleco won't mind the little scavengers...lol

Lance M. said:
I read somewhere that in the wild cories will school in a group of several hundred of themselves and other species of cories.

Correct. I helped set up a tank for a chap that looked like this:

375 gallon tank...black background, black gravel, a couple of light green plants. Occupants....250 cardinal tetras and 250 albino corys....the effect was incredible, and the corys kept in a single school.

wow! do you have any pictures of that tank toirtis?

wright - I think 20-25 sounds great! Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom