schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randy86

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I hear everyone talking about their schooling fish.... So my question is in my 55 gal community tank do I need some? My current stock is

4 angel
1 clown loach
1 spotted picus
2 dwarf graumies
1 gold graumie
1 blue graumie
2 rubber nose pleco
1 Chinese alge eater
1 silver dollar
1 giant mono

Sounds crazy I know so goahead and let me here it!

Well I would rehom the clown loach can get to a foot long need at least a 100 gallon tank silver dollar needs at least a 6 foot tank due to it's activeness and adult size chineese algae eater will become aggressive with the plecos and other fish and the 2 dwarf gouramis will get picked on constantly by other gourami species and either the blue or gold gourami because they will fight amongst themselves a lot. Also up the spotted pictus numbers to 4 as they are a shoaling fish and I would add a school of 10 gold barbs if you rehome the fish to fill in the middle level of your tank.

Yeah its a pretty crazy tank but i love it and all of them seem to get along great and the dwarf graumies are fixing to step down to a se.I planted 29 gal

Well if you are moving the dwarf gouramis I would still move either the blue or gold gourami.

I would also move the silver dollar if you move all the fish as suggested than you could add a schooling fish such as rainbows.

Er...clown loaches and silver dollars are both schooling fish, aside from the size issues with the tank.

No, schooling fish are not a requirement for a fish tank. People add them because they add some cohesion to a tank, and because they enjoy watching them when they decide to school tightly.

Back
Top Bottom