schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
can you put 2 kinds of tetras together in the same tank? will they school together?? how many of each would i need to get?? no they aren't painted!!!!! zilla's wifie :?: :lol:

6 is a good min school number, check my profile for some suggestions on species.

Yes you can put 2 different types of tetras. They will not school together, only with same species. Schooling fish should be with at least 6 of their own.

I just have to be the voice of opposition - only because of what I have experienced. Given the absolute schooling rule (groups of 6), I don't have 6 but 4 of two different types (see sig). Now this may be a weird happenstance but today, my tetras and for that matter, my lone mickeymouse platy...swim together. Don't ask me why...I couldn't begin to tell you. :?:

Maybe because both tetras are red? Beats me too. I always thought that fish could tell, through pheromones or something like that, which fish were their 'family'.

If the flame tetras are red (I dunno, are they? :wink: ) maybe they school with the serpaes? The platy is just maybe looking for some companionship. :)

The red eyed are also known as "lamp eyed" tetras. Not flame as previously stated. They are silver w/black stripped fins and they do occassionally "swim" with the serpaes.

The other tetras are in my 30gal (black skirt and red) along with the platy.

A side note: The red tetra in my 30gal is referred to as a "flame" tetra at fishprofiles. The serpaes are also known as "jewel" according to them as well.

Hope this removes the confusion. If it has, please explain it to me... 8O

I had 1 cardinal tetra (long story) and bought 6 neon tetra's the other day. The cardinal immediately went to the other tetras and schools with them like he's one of them. 1 of the tetra's is now missing, but there are still 5 and 1, and they are all together like a big happy family.

Back
Top Bottom