Schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MitcherNeaf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now i have 3 balas and they seem to follow eachother pretty well, i only have a 55 gallon and am going to upgrade in a year anyway but i dont want too many balas in there because they get so big. Is 3 balas a good number for school to take place or would another 1 help with that.

I am also going to purchase some clown loaches for the tank and i saw 2 in the pet store today that seemed to be schooling with eachother pretty well, but found a site on the internet that suggested 6 for good schooling, that seems like quite a bit, and will fill my tank up real quick, and wont allow me to really put any more fish in besides clown loaches and bala sharks, i would like to have atleast 2 more types, maybe a red tailed shark, or a cherry barb, looking for something that will remain on its own rather than another type of schooling fish, 2 is plenty. Maybe even a kissing gourami, that seems to be a nice addition, what do you gusy think, they a loner fish?

Thanks alot
Mitch

they say that if one is really dominant, it will be able to make life miserable for the other two, sometimes 4-5 are needed, and many reccommend this number because its a small school, but i think that unless you have a really dominant shark, you should be fine

Cherry barbs are not loners...they do best in trios of 1m/2f. They aren't schooling, but they like the company of their own kind. Gouramis can be kept by themselves though.

Kissing gouramis and clown loaches get too large for a 55g. The balas do also, but I think you said in another post that you plan to upgrade in the future.

I'd go with an Opaline gourami. They get around 5 inches and will stand up to any fish that tries to pick on them. They are usually peaceful though.

Have you thought about a small school of a larger type fish? You could keep 4-6 Rainbows or Denison's Barbs (Red Line Barbs) if you can find them. Bosemani rainbows would make a great centerpiece school in the tank.

Before my out of control water parameters killed them, I had three 3" balas in a 29 gallon. They seemed to get along just fine.

3 Clowns = school. Whoever said '6' was being idealistic: you'd need an exceptionally large tank for a school of 6 fully grown clowns...^.^

But, you're right that clowns would probably be too much for your tank with the balas.
I also wouldn't recommend a red-tailed shark with your balas. A small school of larger sized barbs as JustOneMore20 said is probably sage advice :)

So you are saying a couple clown loaches is not a good idea. You are correct once i graduate school and get a nursing job, i do plan on getting a bigger tank, and that is only about 8 months away, (or income tax time either one). But i like the clown loaches the best, and maybe one of those opaline gourami's would also look nice in the tank as well. With my plans what would be a good number of clown loaches.

I have not seem any of the basemani rainbows or denison's barbs in the pet store but i will have to keep an eye out for them and check them out, thankyou.

Also my wife really likes the clown loaches would maybe the clown barbs be a better idea.

I would get 3 clown loaches for now and then add more once you get a bigger tank. 3 is a good number and wouldn't overcrowd your balas too much.

If you can find clown barbs, I think they would work as well. They get around 4-5 inches (from the limited info I can find when googling)...so big enough not to get bullied around IMO.

ok thanks alot, i guess i should probably let my tank completely cycle before i think about adding those.

Back
Top Bottom