schooling fish - do you need to replace fish that die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
do you need to maintain a minimum group of 4 at all times.

will it matter if there are only 3 tetras/barbs remaining in the school?

It is preferable to have a minumum of 6 in a school. The fish can be with less but prefer to be in groups of 6 or more.

mom2reds said:
barbs can get real aggresive if not kept in bigger schools

My cherry barbs claim that they are offended due to the generalization. I'd say that cherry barbs are one of the few barbs that are not aggressive at all. I've kept anywhere from 2-6 so far and I've never had a problem at all. :)

As always though, YMMV

he did not say that he had cherry barbs though.( ha ha) many many barbs are very nippy and aggressive. So it is better to be safe than sorry

Bubble_B0y said:
do you need to maintain a minimum group of 4 at all times.

will it matter if there are only 3 tetras/barbs remaining in the school?

What species of fish do you have? Some may do better in a school of 6 or 8 while some may not care if you only have three. Not all tetras or barbs school together IME (cherry barbs and Columbian red and blue tetras come to mind).

tiger barbs and clown loaches

but since making this thread - I purchased an additional 2 tiger barbs and 2 clown loaches.
I now have 7 tiger barbs and 5 clown loaches.

my male cherry barb (i have 2 females as well) chases my flying fox and baby guppies all the times. Quite the terrorizer

I always feel its best to, helps with keeping the fish feeling safe and plus if you end up with 1 last fish outta the schoo lelft it kinda looks outta place lol I feel sorry for my poor lone tiger barb he had a ton of friends but over time they all died lol I need to get some time to go out and get some more

Back
Top Bottom