schooling fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
i dont mean to start a new thread, i had one yesterday but being new to this board im not sure if threads move up the list if i reply to my post, so forgive me...... 29 gallon freshly cycled tank.. going crazy with stocking ideas...currently 5 zebra danios and bristlenose pleco.. as i said yesterday, love schooling fish, specifically the danios.. i do know i want to get 5 cory cats when everything said and done..just having hard time deciding if i just want to stock with lots of zebra danios, or if im better off with mixture of danios and maybe harlequin rasboras. im just afraid that 8 each of danios and rasboras wont allow alot of schooling and wondering if im better off with say 15 or so of zebras... i was looking at rummynose, but dont like the sensitivity of them and they are bigger then rasboras. as u can see i love smaller fish... just not sure if two small schools are better or one large danio school....any other suggestions are great.....another question, when i do the cory cats or the rasboras, as they both school, how many should i start with at a time so i dont mess up water? once again im sorry for reposting this thread.

My Zebra Danios are fine with my Guppies so i would say get them if you want

You can do another type of schooler, if you decide you want to, but I wouldn't go with rasboras. They would school at the same level in the tank as the danios, which can give a real messy look. I would stick with the danios as your top schoolers and go with something like 7-10 of them, and then choose something that schools mid-bottom, like many tetras do. Neons, cardinals, and glowlights would be great choices, that aren't as sensitive as the rummies. I'd go with atleast 6 cories in total. You may be able to add them at one time without a mini cycle, but to be sure, split them up into two batches.

I'm actually in a similar boat since i need more info on some of the small schooling fish and I was looking into all of the ones you mentioned. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Back
Top Bottom