Schooling fish territory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aiken Drum

Site Team
I've had a group of cardinal tetras in a 200 litre community tank for a while. These fish have always occupied the same spot in the tank, about 12" across, 6" top to bottom and 6" front to back. They very rarely move from this spot. The only time they move is when the angelfish decide thats where they are laying their eggs this time around so the tetras agree to move out for a few days.

A bit like Triggers broom (english people will get the joke) none of the fish where part of the original group. Fish die, they get replaced, join the school occupying the same spot the school has always occupied. Rinse and repeat over the years. Ive not done a rescape on the tank since i set up beyond minor tweaks with a few new plants.

It got me wondering if that spot is where they live because its the best spot for cardinal tetras or they just live there because they always have done? If i removed all the fish and put in a completely new group of cardinal tetras would this new group automatically occupy that exact same spot? Might a new group be a bit more adventurous and explore a little?

Whats everyones thoughts on this? Have you had a circumstance where you have had to replace a whole school of fish?

Should i do some experimentation?

Last edited:
FWIW...
I never had Cardinal Tetras only Neon Tetras, in the past and present, and both are said to have the same habits.

I presently just have a 10 g tank with 7 Neons.
They tend to school and hang out in the lower portion of the tank...... from about the middle of the tank to a bit lower .... and sometimes even bottom feed.. They are voracious eaters..
The tank is heavily planted and they will sleep scattered all over the tank among the plants..

BTW, I also have 3 Harlequin Rasboras (I'm looking for one more) and they school and feed a bit higher than the Tetras..
They usually sleep in plan view..

The two species get along great together and make ideal tank companions . ::) .

Back
Top Bottom