Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
schooling species

for my 55 gallon i want to have 2 fish that will school, 5 schooling tetras and 5 schooling cories but will they have to be the same species of each? can i get 3 of 1 species of cory and 2 of the other and will they all school or should i get all of one species?

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
The species have to be very similar or the same to school.

Tetras and corydoras seem to be the most popular schooling species. If you do say 3 panda and 2 adolfoi corydoras they will most likely school together.

That is because they look similar in coloration and persona. Hope that helps you out some

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

right now i have a Swartz's Cory Cat , he has blakc round his eye are and black spots all over his bakc i think im going to get 2 more of him and then 2 of some other cory that looks like him, maybe a panda cory because they look alike just without spots and tetras ill have to see what the lfs has

thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Currently we have albino, peppered, and bronze cories. The albinos are in my daughter's tank and the peppered and bronze in my son's, but at one time they were all together in a 20 (while I was moving furniture and tanks and such). They all schooled together without any trouble despite the colour differences. They are only seperated into colours now because of the colours of substrate that my kids chose... the albinos compliment my daughter's tank and the bronze and peppered cories compliment my son's. But, they did all school together at one point in time... the whole lot of them.

When we had just five cories, they didn't really do too much... once we had a total of eight cories in each tank they became really active and interactive. Just a thought but with a 55 gallon tank (especially a long) you could have a lot more than 5 cories.

The tetras I don't have a clue about.... tetras were one of my first mistakes in fish keeping... bought the dyed ones cause they looked so bright not knowing that they had been tortured to look like that. It certainly effected their personalities, they were like sharks with chum. I know not all tetras are like that but, after that experience I haven't bought any tetras.
44 bowfront FW - 3 red cap orandas, 3 fantails, 3 golden dojo loachesone sailfin pleco
40L #1 FW - empty
40L #2 FW - empty
20 tall FW - adopted from my mother - 3 golden dojo loaches, 1 sailfin pleco, 4 assorted tetras and one mystery fish
10 long #1 FW - male betta, 4 peppered cories, 4 bronze cories, sailfin pleco, and some snails
10 long #2 FW - male betta, 1 praecox rainbow, 7 albino cories, sailfin pleco, and some snails
5.5 bowfront FW - 3 ADF's
8 year old flat-coated retriever, 3 year old mutt (looks like a small brindle lab) and a 6 month old miniature poodle (they're pets too, right?)
LydiaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

since the spotted cories were cheap we got 4 of them to school with the 1 i have now so 5 schooling will be cool

when i put hte 4 in i just bought the 3 schooled with eachother but 1 just sat in a corner, will he eventually join the group?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
You might be disapointed trying to stock for "schools" of fish, most won't school unless they feel threated..

Tags
schooling, spec, species

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com