schooling species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
for my 55 gallon i want to have 2 fish that will school, 5 schooling tetras and 5 schooling cories but will they have to be the same species of each? can i get 3 of 1 species of cory and 2 of the other and will they all school or should i get all of one species?

The species have to be very similar or the same to school.

Tetras and corydoras seem to be the most popular schooling species. If you do say 3 panda and 2 adolfoi corydoras they will most likely school together.

That is because they look similar in coloration and persona. Hope that helps you out some

right now i have a Swartz's Cory Cat , he has blakc round his eye are and black spots all over his bakc i think im going to get 2 more of him and then 2 of some other cory that looks like him, maybe a panda cory because they look alike just without spots and tetras ill have to see what the lfs has

thanks

Currently we have albino, peppered, and bronze cories. The albinos are in my daughter's tank and the peppered and bronze in my son's, but at one time they were all together in a 20 (while I was moving furniture and tanks and such). They all schooled together without any trouble despite the colour differences. They are only seperated into colours now because of the colours of substrate that my kids chose... the albinos compliment my daughter's tank and the bronze and peppered cories compliment my son's. But, they did all school together at one point in time... the whole lot of them.

When we had just five cories, they didn't really do too much... once we had a total of eight cories in each tank they became really active and interactive. Just a thought but with a 55 gallon tank (especially a long) you could have a lot more than 5 cories.

The tetras I don't have a clue about.... tetras were one of my first mistakes in fish keeping... bought the dyed ones cause they looked so bright not knowing that they had been tortured to look like that. It certainly effected their personalities, they were like sharks with chum. I know not all tetras are like that but, after that experience I haven't bought any tetras.

since the spotted cories were cheap we got 4 of them to school with the 1 i have now so 5 schooling will be cool

when i put hte 4 in i just bought the 3 schooled with eachother but 1 just sat in a corner, will he eventually join the group?

Back
Top Bottom