Schooling (Tiger barbs and Danios)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my experience they've schooled in separate schools. I think we had 7 Tiger Barbs and 5 Danios in the 55.

Fish have a tendency to school with other fish that resemble them. Clown Loaches (Botia macracantha) will sometimes school with Tiger Barbs (Capoeta tetrazona) because of the similarity in their color and pattern. My Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) often school with my Red-tailed Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis) because they also look similar. Because of the dissimilarity in their appearance, my Tiger Barbs do NOT school with my Red-tailed Rasboras.

Zebra Danios (Brachydanio rerio) and other 'danios' probably won't school with Tiger Barbs because they don't look anything alike.

I thought my clown loaches were crazy. They follow my tiger barbs, and sometimes they lead the pack and the tiger barbs follow them....LoL!!

I started out with 8 Tiger Barbs, 3 Blue Gouramis and 2 Yo-Yo loaches in my 26-gallon tank. The barbs stuck together in mid-water and the Yo-Yo loaches hung around the base of the driftwood. I lost one of my Yo-Yo loaches during a drawn out battle with anchor worms. The remaining Yo-Yo loach began trying to hang out with the Tiger Barbs. I guess that the banded pattern on the Tiger Barbs was similar enough that the Yo-Yo thought he was one of the 'gang'. The Barbs didn't seem to mind too much as long as he didn't try to cuddle.

I felt so sorry for the poor loach that I just had to go out and buy another one. As soon as the new 'buddy' hit the tank the two loaches got right together and have been almost inseparable ever since (and neither of them is interested in being a Tiger Barb).

all three of my clown loaches follow my red tail shark around a lot. it's a peaceful thing..there's no aggressive movements, just swimming around looking for food together.

Endgame319 said:
my danios dont really school, its more like they are constantly chasing each other

On top of that.. I wanted to comment.. Some idiot at the local Petsmart mixed Tiger Barbs and Clown loaches :p So customers don't know which is which, and I doubt most of the clerks do either :p

Back
Top Bottom