Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you know what spotted Cory it is? Julli panda, bandit, etc.? In looking for them and my sure hat is the best. Also, I'd have him order the hatchets

No sorry I don't... But when I call him in the morning I'll ask and let you know :)

I was also thinking hatchets so now I will have to decide what species! I love them all! The ones they had reserved where the marbled ones. They were pretty small but had GREAT coloration.

But I'd also like to see what other people say too! :)

I think the marbled are the coolest ones out there!

So as a final stock your going with--
4 Cory cats
2 gbr
5 hatchet fish
What else? I'd say either a small school of cardinals, or up the hatchets to 10

I think the marbled are the coolest ones out there!

So as a final stock your going with--
4 Cory cats
2 gbr
5 hatchet fish
What else? I'd say either a small school of cardinals, or up the hatchets to 10

Yeah that's what I am thinking, not sure what I want to do for a middle schooling fish though... Hrrmm....

Lol, because I also got a mat of it and it died a painful death it seemed...even with my lights and CO2! Ugh it's the "impossible plant" :lol: a find just planting little sprigs of it here and there grows better :)

Really.... Interesting!

So, I was (and still am) looking at the Segrest Farms master catalog for fish. The only hatchet fish that aren't 'rarely avl.' are the silver and marbled hatchet fish. So I will go with the marbled hatchet fish. I'll probably do 3, because I don't think my tank could handle six at once!

So what does everybody think for a second schooling fish or?

Okay, so I found some I like. Well, I like a lot, but here are the ones I will ask about!

Veilfin Neon Tetra Gold

Gold Tetra (Hemigrammus Rodwayi)

Hummingbird Tetra

Paracheirodon innesi var.

Paracheirodon innesi 24 Karat Neon Tetra

Pristella Maxillaris Var. Tetra X-Ray Albino Blushing

Okay, so I found some I like. Well, I like a lot, but here are the ones I will ask about!

Veilfin Neon Tetra Gold

Gold Tetra (Hemigrammus Rodwayi)

Hummingbird Tetra

Paracheirodon innesi var.

Paracheirodon innesi 24 Karat Neon Tetra

Pristella Maxillaris Var. Tetra X-Ray Albino Blushing

Hmm you're not one to go with the normal, huh :lol: Very unique selection.

Here is my rundown:

The veilfin gold neons - I'm afraid they may be a bit touchy, due to all the selective breeding. But, you can try them out.

Gold tetra - Nice and hardy, very pretty fish

Hummingbird tetra - definitely a larger tetra. Kept best either as a single or in large groups o 8+. Their max size is 3", compared to the 1" max size of neons

Paracheirodon innesi var. - not sure exactly which variation you are talking about, but if they are gold neons they are pretty cool. I personally like regular neons better, though, because IMO gold neons look like sick regular ones =P

24 karat neon tetra - I have never heard of them, nor can I find anything about them online :lol:

I think you will have major problems finding any of these in stores :lol: even my lfs which is known for carrying wacky fish has never carried any of these. Here are some more unique but yet more common schooling fish to consider:

Rice Fish - beautiful tiny fish, easy to breed, but can be expensive :lol: If you have the money, I recommend them.

Diamond tetra - one of the tetras which you have to see in person to enjoy their beauty. Slightly larger but would work in your tank.

Furcata rainbowfish (aka forktail rainbowfish) - colorful, small, and active fish, all around awesome (y)

Hmm you're not one to go with the normal, huh :lol: Very unique selection.

Here is my rundown:

The veilfin gold neons - I'm afraid they may be a bit touchy, due to all the selective breeding. But, you can try them out.

Gold tetra - Nice and hardy, very pretty fish

Hummingbird tetra - definitely a larger tetra. Kept best either as a single or in large groups o 8+. Their max size is 3", compared to the 1" max size of neons

Paracheirodon innesi var. - not sure exactly which variation you are talking about, but if they are gold neons they are pretty cool. I personally like regular neons better, though, because IMO gold neons look like sick regular ones =P

24 karat neon tetra - I have never heard of them, nor can I find anything about them online :lol:

I think you will have major problems finding any of these in stores :lol: even my lfs which is known for carrying wacky fish has never carried any of these. Here are some more unique but yet more common schooling fish to consider:

Rice Fish - beautiful tiny fish, easy to breed, but can be expensive :lol: If you have the money, I recommend them.

Diamond tetra - one of the tetras which you have to see in person to enjoy their beauty. Slightly larger but would work in your tank.

Furcata rainbowfish (aka forktail rainbowfish) - colorful, small, and active fish, all around awesome (y)

No, I don't like normal fish :) But I am going to have Petco order the fish from Segrest Farms I believe, so I have more variety. I'm really wanting something gold for some reason haha.

I might do:

1 Humming Bird Tetra

6 Gold Tetra or Gold Neon Tetra or 24 Karat Tetra or something else.... Haha. I don't want it to be super tiny because it would get out competed for food..

Now I have to figure out if I will order three tetras or three hatchet fish first.... Hmmm....

More than three tetras would be better. 6-8 is a nice number to go with when ordering "not commonly stocked" schools of tetras. Only getting three could leave you in a bind if Seagrest Farms has it's stock sold out or if you pick a seasonal fish. I've made dozens of orders with Seagrest for two different mom and pop shops and they really can run out and take a long time to get rare fish back in. Becides, some fish don't make the plane trip to the store in sellable condition (nearly dead to "is that supposed to be a fish?"). :(

No, I don't like normal fish :) But I am going to have Petco order the fish from Segrest Farms I believe, so I have more variety. I'm really wanting something gold for some reason haha.

I might do:

1 Humming Bird Tetra

6 Gold Tetra or Gold Neon Tetra or 24 Karat Tetra or something else.... Haha. I don't want it to be super tiny because it would get out competed for food..

Now I have to figure out if I will order three tetras or three hatchet fish first.... Hmmm....

I like the pristella tetras and gold neon tetras. The gold tetras have that bright blue eye. Rummy nose are my favorite. The bright red nose, silver body and zebra tail... I get alot of comments on them when people are visiting. I also have 3 long finned leopard danios. They are very active and swim all levels of the tank.

Just my thoughts. :). Also- how about a FTS? :)

More than three tetras would be better. 6-8 is a nice number to go with when ordering "not commonly stocked" schools of tetras. Only getting three could leave you in a bind if Seagrest Farms has it's stock sold out or if you pick a seasonal fish. I've made dozens of orders with Seagrest for two different mom and pop shops and they really can run out and take a long time to get rare fish back in. Besides, some fish don't make the plane trip to the store in sellable condition (nearly dead to "is that supposed to be a fish?"). :(

That is a very good point, but I don't know if my tank could handle 6 fish yet! As you have read, I only got the ammonia up to 1 ppm for a short while, plus, since the API test tube caps leak, all the tubes have ended up on the floor :( I could figure something out with a syringe but it will be a pain in the you know what to test. :ermm:

I like the pristella tetras and gold neon tetras. The gold tetras have that bright blue eye. Rummy nose are my favorite. The bright red nose, silver body and zebra tail... I get alot of comments on them when people are visiting. I also have 3 long finned leopard danios. They are very active and swim all levels of the tank.

Hmmm Yeah I am not sure I want to post pictures of my tank where 1000's of people can see it and laugh and the pathetic thing it is. But okay. Here you go :oops:

Also, I think there are eggs!!! :)

Okay maybe no pictures... It's not recognizing the camera again :banghead:

Bearchumjs said:

Right on! Where's our FTS? lol

I'd kill got a tank just big enough for a school of rummy nose tetras. I used to have around 20 in my old 55 and they were killer. Tight schools, moved in formation, and so pretty with the water tinted brown with blackwater solution. I also liked the penguin tetras and rainbows from another 55 I used to have (before swapping them out for discus).

I'd love to see a picture of 24 karat tetras. May have to jump to the PC.

Coolio Huh?

2rc8h04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom