Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I have no idea, haha.

AZ Gardens has them for $7.99, but they seem more expensive than other places... Seems like great stock though.

Yes! So depending in the tetras, I think a good stock would be
5 marbled hatchets
1 humming bird tetra
2 German blue rams
3 bronze Cory's and 1 other
6 tetras
!!

hmm.......I'm not on the site for a few hours and all of a sudden the thread grows another page :lol: wow.

If you're wanting something gold, have you checked in to German Gold Rams? I loved mine. They're so pretty :)

I'm sticking with the blue rams. And the cory cats have laid eggs!!!!! :D :D

They've gotten busy! And I was waiting for that to happen because it looked like two had paired up and were chasing each other around. There's tons of the eggs on the DW!

Yes! So depending in the tetras, I think a good stock would be
5 marbled hatchets
1 humming bird tetra
2 German blue rams
3 bronze Cory's and 1 other
6 tetras
!!

Yep that's what I am thinking but 6 Hatchet fish.

So now that there are eggs.... I am going to be getting hatchet fish first so hopefully they will stay away from the eggs and babies if any hatch! What do I feed them?

No I have no idea, haha.

AZ Gardens has them for $7.99, but they seem more expensive than other places... Seems like great stock though.

Google some reviews. That's all I will mention. ;)
Also, 7.99 is outrageous for gold neons. Those are just a selectively bred strain of the neon tetra, and not terribly unusual.

Keep in mind as you are looking for stuff that you want Petco to order, that they will probably have a minimum order. Sometimes it is 50 or more, and they may not want to receive that many.

Google some reviews. That's all I will mention. ;)
Also, 7.99 is outrageous for gold neons. Those are just a selectively bred strain of the neon tetra, and not terribly unusual.

Keep in mind as you are looking for stuff that you want Petco to order, that they will probably have a minimum order. Sometimes it is 50 or more, and they may not want to receive that many.

Oh my. Just searched reveiws... Wow.

The 7.99 is for the hummingbird tetras.

The aquatics guy is really awesome so when I call him tomorrow night he'll tell me what he can and can't do.

Turns out the cory cats eggs are pond snail eggs :eek: That really sucks for a lot of reasons.

I see. Hummingbird Tetra are not ver active swimmers, and get pretty nippy with each other. They tend to hang out at the bottom of the tank. Not sure I would recommend for your setup.

Edit-- nevermind, I was thinking of a different species. I don't know about the temperament of the hummingbird tetra, but I do know that it is going to stay at the bottom of the tank and may not be as active as you would like.

Also wanted to mention, diamond tetra are not going to be a good idea with the rest of your stock, or even for a 25 gallon at all IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe I won't do one then. I would like some active fish so that's out.

I wasn't going to do diamond tetras, but I am curious why they wouldn't work, just so I know?

Diamonds are very active, grow too large for your tank, and are voracious eaters that would make it next to impossible to get food to some of your more shy fish. They are also fairly aggressive.

Ok.... What is the proposed stock list again? It has changed many times since this thread began.

Wouldn't ten neons be too much tho?

Hmm... Maybe 7? If you aren't getting the hummingbird tetra.

That would be

2 GBR
5 hatchets
4 Cory cats
7 gold neon tetras

Did I forget anything? And you could add 4 golds at one time and then up the school to 7 to make sure you don't overload the bio filter by adding all 7 at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom