Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it sure is! Sometimes I regret getting into it bfore I have a job, but I love it so much, even staring in an empty tank is fun because I know what is going in there!

Yeah, the shrimp are quite cute little buggers! I am going to upgrade to a 5 gal soon, and maybe get a few of another type that won't breed with the sakuras and sell those too.... We'll see :lol:

Yup.... :lol: I love my 10 gallon shrimp tank, It's awesome watching them scurry around....I have some Painted Fire Red RCS, some Green Babaultis, and some Malawa Shrimp....They're all so cool!

Yup.... :lol: I love my 10 gallon shrimp tank, It's awesome watching them scurry around....I have some Painted Fire Red RCS, some Green Babaultis, and some Malawa Shrimp....They're all so cool!

Yeah I love my shrimp. What types wont breed with the Cherry shrimp?

Yeah I love my shrimp. What types wont breed with the Cherry shrimp?

Most caridina shrimp won't breed with red cherries, which are neocaridinas. Here is a good resource about shrimp and interbreeding. According to the chart it has, the only shrimp that will interbreed with red cherries (there may be some species left out on the chart, and some of the common names are not specific) are blue pearls (neos), neo. heterop, red tigers (neos) and yellow neos. Here is the complete interbreeding chart, in case you want to see more species.

An important thing to consider when putting multiple shrimp in the same tank is water parameters. Many of the neocaridina species tolerate a wide range of ph, gh and kh. Many of the caridina species (crystal reds for example) are less tolerant and usually need softer water. Many people have been successful in acclimating crystal reds (and other caridinas) into harder water and breeding them, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Most caridina shrimp won't breed with red cherries, which are neocaridinas. Here is a good resource about shrimp and interbreeding. According to the chart it has, the only shrimp that will interbreed with red cherries (there may be some species left out on the chart, and some of the common names are not specific) are blue pearls (neos), neo. heterop, red tigers (neos) and yellow neos. Here is the complete interbreeding chart, in case you want to see more species.

An important thing to consider when putting multiple shrimp in the same tank is water parameters. Many of the neocaridina species tolerate a wide range of ph, gh and kh. Many of the caridina species (crystal reds for example) are less tolerant and usually need softer water. Many people have been successful in acclimating crystal reds (and other caridinas) into harder water and breeding them, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Wow, thanks max! My ph is 7.4-7.6, will that be OK? for shrimp and the rams? I am going to buy some IAL soon, will that help some?

Hey there! So I'm wondering what shrimp you've decided!? I am planning on rams as well and would love 6 or so shrimp! Wouldn't the smaller like ghost and rcs be eaten??

Hey there! So I'm wondering what shrimp you've decided!? I am planning on rams as well and would love 6 or so shrimp! Wouldn't the smaller like ghost and rcs be eaten??

Hi Charlie! :) Possibly. After my sakuras have hatched, and I have the rams in there, I will sacrifice a couple and see how that rams take to them, and if they don't bother them, I will put in some amano shrimp for clean up!
I am going to need to get another tank soon for all these babies!!
Also, I am going and try and carpet with some dwarf baby tears and dwarf four leaf clover, so hopefully the shrimpies will have a place to hide, while the rams are pestering each other :lol:

What tank are you going to put rams in? The 29? I saw rams at Petsmart, and I still can't believe it!

Hi Charlie! :) Possibly. After my sakuras have hatched, and I have the rams in there, I will sacrifice a couple and see how that rams take to them, and if they don't bother them, I will put in some amano shrimp for clean up!
I am going to need to get another tank soon for all these babies!!
Also, I am going and try and carpet with some dwarf baby tears and dwarf four leaf clover, so hopefully the shrimpies will have a place to hide, while the rams are pestering each other :lol:

What tank are you going to put rams in? The 29? I saw rams at Petsmart, and I still can't believe it!
I actually got a 37 gallon because the 29 was 149.99 at my local petsmart and that was the cheapest I saw it for. But then, my 5th lfs ha the 29 for 119.99 and the 37 for 139.99 plus a 15 filler mail in rebate! So I decided to go big or go home!:) and I plan on getting only 1 ram and then 1 apistogramma! I don't really want to deal with breading aggression and I also can't pick between the two! And anyways, they will both be in with 8 rumynose tetras, 12 neons, 4 panda Cory's, a honey our any, and an angel! Can't wait to get them! Cycling needs to be faster! Haha. And as for shrimp, my tank has a very neat substrate bed that is wavy and has many hills, as well as dw and some caves. So I thought some shrimp would look cool crawling around! And I will hopefully have jave a fern and some other plants!

I actually got a 37 gallon because the 29 was 149.99 at my local petsmart and that was the cheapest I saw it for. But then, my 5th lfs ha the 29 for 119.99 and the 37 for 139.99 plus a 15 filler mail in rebate! So I decided to go big or go home!:) and I plan on getting only 1 ram and then 1 apistogramma! I don't really want to deal with breading aggression and I also can't pick between the two! And anyways, they will both be in with 8 rumynose tetras, 12 neons, 4 panda Cory's, a honey our any, and an angel! Can't wait to get them! Cycling needs to be faster! Haha. And as for shrimp, my tank has a very neat substrate bed that is wavy and has many hills, as well as dw and some caves. So I thought some shrimp would look cool crawling around! And I will hopefully have jave a fern and some other plants!

Sounds good! This is my first 'real' tank, and since it is in my room, which is also in the basement, I didn't want to do HUGE water changes, lugging the water up the stairs, lol.

You have 5 lfs??! Wow, you are so lucky :eek:

You got a good deal on that tank! Mine was $100 with the member card, but it had almost everything I needed, including awesome lights :brows:

Yeah! Near me(metro area of mn) I have about 5 that are within 20 min and then another 5 10 min farther! I've only been to 3 and 1 was terrible. By the other 2 were amazing! I bought the tank, and stand at one called a wet pet and then my mom and sister and friends got me in total $100 in gift cards to the other called a world of fish. What brand tank did you get? I have the marineland biowheel kit and it has led lights, which aren't all that good for plants..:( but I did find a few suitable for them and my mom really is overwhelmed and I need to still convince her on the plants! Haha for my birthday a couple months ago my friend got me a betta fish. Now I have a 400lb tank in my room, talk about obsession! So what do you have for lfs near you?

Yeah! Near me(metro area of mn) I have about 5 that are within 20 min and then another 5 10 min farther! I've only been to 3 and 1 was terrible. By the other 2 were amazing! I bought the tank, and stand at one called a wet pet and then my mom and sister and friends got me in total $100 in gift cards to the other called a world of fish. What brand tank did you get? I have the marineland biowheel kit and it has led lights, which aren't all that good for plants..:( but I did find a few suitable for them and my mom really is overwhelmed and I need to still convince her on the plants! Haha for my birthday a couple months ago my friend got me a betta fish. Now I have a 400lb tank in my room, talk about obsession! So what do you have for lfs near you?

Deathco and a weird mom and pop pet store that sells all sorts of weird hybrid animals. Staff sucks too. :( Those are 30 mins away. We live in the country. There is a nice Petsmart about and hour and fifteen mins away from us, and then there is always online, too.

I got the Aqueon 25 gal deluxe kit. It has dual t5 lighting, 6700k 28 watts. Came with the lights, filter, heater, tank (duh) lid, light fixture, plant food, fish food, and water conditioner.

I so have obsession too! I was talking to my mom about fish at dinner tonight, and while I was talking, she was like, "Okay, enough about fish, I don't want to here any more. But I was telling here how you can't keep piranhas in a 25 gallon aquarium. She thought I could. Whenever I talk about my tank or something, she just rolls her eyes. lol.

For my birthday in March, I am going to ask for money, and you all know what it's going to go towards! :lol: I am just not going to tell her!

Sounds like a good deal! And that's too bad you don't have any good stores nearby:( I've never ordered online, but I have ordered from drs. Foster and smith and their amazing! I got 3 cichlid stones and 2 pieces of dw! They have another site under the name if live aquaria but owned by the same people, so I suspect they'd be good! Yeah I can not wait to get som fish! I also am kinda sad that I can't get a German ram for nearly 6 months! I may get a kribensis instead, or Mabye a Bolivian ram.

Sounds like a good deal! And that's too bad you don't have any good stores nearby:( I've never ordered online, but I have ordered from drs. Foster and smith and their amazing! I got 3 cichlid stones and 2 pieces of dw! They have another site under the name if live aquaria but owned by the same people, so I suspect they'd be good! Yeah I can not wait to get som fish! I also am kinda sad that I can't get a German ram for nearly 6 months! I may get a kribensis instead, or Mabye a Bolivian ram.

I've looked at Live Aquaria, but their shipping is so much! I am probably going to order from The Wet Spot Tropical Fish. To my area I can get shipping for $15, because they are about 7 hours away! Why can't you get a German ram for so long?

There is a fish store about 1 hour away, but we never go in that direction, so I don't know what it's like yet.

Well from what I've heard, German blue rams are extremely sensitive to water conditions and are best if added at least 6 months after initially set up. Now, an exception are tank bread and raised ones, which could added a bit sooner. Anyways, the rams are a bit on the expensive side($10) and I don't want to buy one and have it die in me, and I also don't want to be a good owner:) If they are tank raised, Mabye I will add one as the last fish but just a month or so later! Now I thought about that! And you should call that lfs and ask about everything! That is what I did with a world if fish and I will now be buying every fish-except for my pleco and upsidedown cat from there, at least $75 on my fish there! Anyways, have you decided on anything about the upsidedown cat??

Well from what I've heard, German blue rams are extremely sensitive to water conditions and are best if added at least 6 months after initially set up. Now, an exception are tank bread and raised ones, which could added a bit sooner. Anyways, the rams are a bit on the expensive side($10) and I don't want to buy one and have it die in me, and I also don't want to be a good owner:) If they are tank raised, Mabye I will add one as the last fish but just a month or so later! Now I thought about that! And you should call that lfs and ask about everything! That is what I did with a world if fish and I will now be buying every fish-except for my pleco and upsidedown cat from there, at least $75 on my fish there! Anyways, have you decided on anything about the upsidedown cat??

I'm not sure. When I got my tank the other day I didn't see and upside down cats, but I did see these little plecos that looked like they had armor on, but I forgot what they are called. I guess I will just see what they have! But I did decide on what rasbora I am going to get. They are called Pygmy Spotted Rasbora. I wanted to get Chili's, but I could not find them anywhere.

I must be living in a good area, the Rams I have seen are all $6! At Petsmart and online.

Haha wow! Can't wait to see your finishedtank! So what's your stock plan? And also, were those rasboras at petsmart and how much?

I have kept German Blue rams in both soft and hard water, both successfully. I have a ram thriving in a tank right now that is only about two months old. Usually there isn't really a need to wait to add fish, unless you are cycling. The key thing to keeping them alive is stability. Once your tank is cycled, it is usually fine.

I have kept German Blue rams in both soft and hard water, both successfully. I have a ram thriving in a tank right now that is only about two months old. Usually there isn't really a need to wait to add fish, unless you are cycling. The key thing to keeping them alive is stability. Once your tank is cycled, it is usually fine.

Great! So it would be okay to add them a month or two after the tank has cycled? I really didn't want to wait 6 months!

Thanks, max.

Hello Sydney! Just wanted to subscribe myself to the thread so I can see the progress you make!

Hi Dan!

Thanks :) I am super excited to get this thing going! My major next step is the plants, which will get here on Friday. Later than I had hoped, but they'll get here.

Great! So it would be okay to add them a month or two after the tank has cycled? I really didn't want to wait 6 months!

Thanks, max.

As long as your tank is stable- you don't want to be having ph fluctuations or things like that with GBRs.

Back
Top Bottom