Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, cool. Do I need that right away, or can it wait a little? Also, if the colors are off, how do you raise or lower the co2 level? One more Q, do I need to buy any other test kits besides the api master freshwater test kit that I already have?

Thanks!! Happy new year too :)

Well until you get one you don't really know if you have enough C02 or too little so your pretty much blind until you can get one. Again, I'm not sure about the whole DIY setups but my regulator has a valve that is for fine precision tuning of how much I want the C02 to come out and I would adjust that accordingly. API is actually the best one you can use as far as the pH solution goes. So once you get the drop checker and 4dKH solution, you pour good teaspoon I would think into the tube and shake it around until it goes in the round section. Then squirt about 5 drops of the pH solution in and it should turn a deep blue. Place the checker in the tank with the horn facing down so that air gets trapped inside the horn and stick it against the glass about 2" below water surface and on the opposite side of the tank to where the C02 is being diffused. You should get a reading after 2 hours and then if its green you are good but if its blue or yellow you would need to adjust it and then after another 2 hours you look at it again and so forth. Make sense?

Well until you get one you don't really know if you have enough C02 or too little so your pretty much blind until you can get one. Again, I'm not sure about the whole DIY setups but my regulator has a valve that is for fine precision tuning of how much I want the C02 to come out and I would adjust that accordingly. API is actually the best one you can use as far as the pH solution goes. So once you get the drop checker and 4dKH solution, you pour good teaspoon I would think into the tube and shake it around until it goes in the round section. Then squirt about 5 drops of the pH solution in and it should turn a deep blue. Place the checker in the tank with the horn facing down so that air gets trapped inside the horn and stick it against the glass about 2" below water surface and on the opposite side of the tank to where the C02 is being diffused. You should get a reading after 2 hours and then if its green you are good but if its blue or yellow you would need to adjust it and then after another 2 hours you look at it again and so forth. Make sense?

Clear as mud!! Lol. Yeah pretty much.

Ok good because you got me confused there about the "clear as mud" statement :lol: I then read the rest of the sentence lol

Here is a pic of my drop checker- notice the green liquid inside :)

Edit- sorry its sideways :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 58
In the picture you can see each of my 2 DIY bottles with the CO2 generating mix in them. Each of these are connected to two gas separators that I have put water in to double as bubblers. On the lines coming out of those separators I have put a check valve on each one to make sure that pressure differences between the bottles don't force water from the separator back into the CO2 generator. These two lines then connect to a "T" to plumb both generators together to feed the tank. If you don't put water in the separator, you don't have to worry about water being pushed back in to your generator. However, without the valves, if you open one of the bottles to replace the mixture, you will depressurize your whole system.

Attachments

• IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 54
Okay, so, here, have a look at mine and see what you think.

2i9joyb.jpg

Sorry the image is a little blury.

But the middle bottle is the gas seperator, and it has the tubing going into the tank, with the check valve. If you need any other info let me know!!

Also sorry if the image is flipped, not sure how it will be!!

That will definitely work. I have been getting right at 2 weeks out of my bottles so if you alternate one a week you should be golden.

That will definitely work. I have been getting right at 2 weeks out of my bottles so if you alternate one a week you should be golden.

I was thinking of running them both at the same time, just because it would be a little less complex.... Would that work?

Also my plants get here tomorrow!!! :dance:

Definitely, you shouldn't have problems with your set up. Looking forward to seeing your plants!

Wow! I'm gone for a few days and the thread grows another 5 pages! It's so far looking really good. I see the plants come today :D I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but I would mix the ferts in a cup of tank water before adding them to the tank, so then you can get more even distribution. Also, you might want to look into getting a different co2 diffuser. Air stones aren't very good diffusers, I would look into getting something like this: Aquarium CO2 Diffuser Glass Carbon Dioxide Reactor for Plant Fish Tank | eBay

Also, I realized something - you could have gotten root tabs from bob's :lol: http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/fertilizers/12-10-bobstropicalplants-root-tabs.html

Wow! I'm gone for a few days and the thread grows another 5 pages! It's so far looking really good. I see the plants come today :D I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but I would mix the ferts in a cup of tank water before adding them to the tank, so then you can get more even distribution. Also, you might want to look into getting a different co2 diffuser. Air stones aren't very good diffusers, I would look into getting something like this: Aquarium CO2 Diffuser Glass Carbon Dioxide Reactor for Plant Fish Tank | eBay

Also, I realized something - you could have gotten root tabs from bob's :lol: 10 BobsTropicalPlants Root Tabs Bobs Tropical Plants

LOL! Yeah, where were you? :lol:I bought a piece of Monapi DW, a piece of slate, and a huge hunk of Lava Rock. I will order that diffuser, but is there a co2 diffuser that has a drop checker in it so I just have to buy one thing? If not no big deal.

Thanks for the tips on the ferts, I was wondering that.
I too realized something. Oh, jeez. I forgot :rolleyes:. One thing I do know is that when I ordered my ferts from bobs, I got a nine dollar credit, so I can buy those root tabs!

I am super excited for my plants to get here, but while I was putting the DW and rocks in the tank, I have a feeling I ordered too many plants. So if that is the case, if anyone want some, you can have them if you pay what I paid for them along for shipping charges! But it depends on if I have too many... We shall see!

I am having trouble deciding where the rocks should go. I know where I want the DW, but no the rocks. Then again, I don't have my plants so it is hard to tell!

I'll try and upload some pictures in a little bit so you can see what I got :)

LOL! Yeah, where were you? :lol:I bought a piece of Monapi DW, a piece of slate, and a huge hunk of Lava Rock. I will order that diffuser, but is there a co2 diffuser that has a drop checker in it so I just have to buy one thing? If not no big deal.

Thanks for the tips on the ferts, I was wondering that.
I too realized something. Oh, jeez. I forgot :rolleyes:. One thing I do know is that when I ordered my ferts from bobs, I got a nine dollar credit, so I can buy those root tabs!

I am super excited for my plants to get here, but while I was putting the DW and rocks in the tank, I have a feeling I ordered too many plants. So if that is the case, if anyone want some, you can have them if you pay what I paid for them along for shipping charges! But it depends on if I have too many... We shall see!

I am having trouble deciding where the rocks should go. I know where I want the DW, but no the rocks. Then again, I don't have my plants so it is hard to tell!

I'll try and upload some pictures in a little bit so you can see what I got :)

I'll be waiting for pictures :ROFLMAO: The plants should be coming really soon now, not?

Oh, and I was visiting family since I wasn't able to on Christmas. They have no internet there, i have no idea how they survive :lol:

I'll be waiting for pictures :ROFLMAO: The plants should be coming really soon now, not?

Oh, and I was visiting family since I wasn't able to on Christmas. They have no internet there, i have no idea how they survive :lol:

Yep, UPS always comes in the evening, (dang UPS! :mad: always makes me wait for everyting important!) So in about three long hours. :lol: When we went to petco to buy my decor and a new habitat for my brothers cockroach, they still had the DPG sale, and they had a few 29 gallon tanks.... Ohh... If I had $35 I would've bought one! :lol:

And yes, my brother has a cockroach. That was his Christmas present from me :ROFLMAO:
Really, how can anyone survive without internet! Especially AA!!!

Edit-
Oh, and I forgot to add. I am not going to soa the driftwood, because I want it to release tannins and lower the PH for the rams, and I also read somewhere that usually tetras and rasboras, etc like a lower PH anyways. I also figured that would work until I buy some IAL, too.

Yep, UPS always comes in the evening, (dang UPS! :mad: always makes me wait for everyting important!) So in about three long hours. :lol: When we went to petco to buy my decor and a new habitat for my brothers cockroach, they still had the DPG sale, and they had a few 29 gallon tanks.... Ohh... If I had $35 I would've bought one! :lol:

And yes, my brother has a cockroach. That was his Christmas present from me :ROFLMAO:
Really, how can anyone survive without internet! Especially AA!!!

Edit-
Oh, and I forgot to add. I am not going to soa the driftwood, because I want it to release tannins and lower the PH for the rams, and I also read somewhere that usually tetras and rasboras, etc like a lower PH anyways. I also figured that would work until I buy some IAL, too.

ooooh, you're in a different time zone than me :lol: if you were in my time zone UPS would have been here already :rolleyes: It's 6:17 here :lol:

I don't think that lowering the pH would be necessary. In most cases, if extremes are avoided, pH doesn't matter. Those fish prefer lower pH, but are very adaptable. But, if you want to lower it go right ahead, the fish definitely won't mind (y) Just don't feel like you NEED to lower the pH.

ooooh, you're in a different time zone than me :lol: if you were in my time zone UPS would have been here already :rolleyes: It's 6:17 here :lol:

I don't think that lowering the pH would be necessary. In most cases, if extremes are avoided, pH doesn't matter. Those fish prefer lower pH, but are very adaptable. But, if you want to lower it go right ahead, the fish definitely won't mind (y) Just don't feel like you NEED to lower the pH.

Lol. Yeah we are in Washington. I was just going to let the wood do its thing. Won't hurt anything :lol:

Besides, I wouldn't be able to wait until it stops releasing tannins!!!

Back
Top Bottom