Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd do both. I love the look of a nice piece of driftwood with realistic looking rocks and then smaller pebbles. Rams like driftwood to hang around and flat rocks if they should breed.

And my rams were $30 each! The day I bought them they were marked down to $20. Yikes! My LFS is known to be expensive but the stock is incredibly reliable and healthy. So, it's either them or Petco.

Yeah, I was thinking I may do both. I was going to do real rocks, and make a cave thing with a flat bottom for spawning.

Scottyhorse said:
Yeah, I was thinking I may do both. I was going to do real rocks, and make a cave thing with a flat bottom for spawning.

I have both in my tank. Check out my build thread to see how rock and stone look together. It's at week 7 right now and it has HC, too. It's still got a long way to go before it's grown out.

So, I need a vote! I am trying to decide on the hardscape. Should I do rocks, driftwood, or both? I don't want anything to look to 'modern' if you know what I mean....

I'd do rocks. Since you are going to have HC, I think you should do an iwagumi layout with seiryu stone. It is tricky to figure out a nice looking layout by perfecting the position of the rocks, but once you do it can look amazing.

552.jpg

I'd do rocks. Since you are going to have HC, I think you should do an iwagumi layout with seiryu stone. It is tricky to figure out a nice looking layout by perfecting the position of the rocks, but once you do it can look amazing.

Those really can look amazing but scotty said...
I am trying to decide on the hardscape. Should I do rocks, driftwood, or both? I don't want anything to look to 'modern' if you know what I mean....

I'm guessing Iwagumi is out. He has some great plants picked out for a natural looking mixed style tank. That's the direction I went with even though I think Iwagumi tanks are unbelievably beautiful. He'll pull off a great tank.

I'm guessing Iwagumi is out. He has some great plants picked out for a natural looking mixed style tank. That's the direction I went with even though I think Iwagumi tanks are unbelievably beautiful. He'll pull off a great tank.

IMO the idea of iwagumi is to make it look natural using mainly rocks. My interpretation of "not anything modern" is no neon gravel, spongebob decorations, etc.....I could be wrong but that's just how I interpreted it.

Again, I am a girl :lol: I should have thought more about my username! I do really like the Iwagumi aquascapes, and I am wondering if I can mix it in a little bit with the rest. most of the Iwagumi I have seen only have a carpeting plant, and not tall background plants. I am going to have both. So maybe it will look more natural...

IMO the idea of iwagumi is to make it look natural using mainly rocks. My interpretation of "not anything modern" is no neon gravel, spongebob decorations, etc.....I could be wrong but that's just how I interpreted it.

:ROFLMAO: That's funny! I must admit, in my shrimp tank I have dark purple gravel, but that is my 'fun do anything I want' tank. But, I think all tanks are fun. :lol:

Again, I am a girl :lol: I should have thought more about my username! I do really like the Iwagumi aquascapes, and I am wondering if I can mix it in a little bit with the rest. most of the Iwagumi I have seen only have a carpeting plant, and not tall background plants. I am going to have both. So maybe it will look more natural...

I have indeed seen some iwagumi setups with taller plants. Mainly the carpeting plants are in the front, and the taller plants in the back just how you would do a normal scape.

Here is a thread about a sweet iwagumi setup that another member here did: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...st-iwagumi-inspired-scape-journal-223559.html

:ROFLMAO: That's funny! I must admit, in my shrimp tank I have dark purple gravel, but that is my 'fun do anything I want' tank. But, I think all tanks are fun. :lol:

I have indeed seen some iwagumi setups with taller plants. Mainly the carpeting plants are in the front, and the taller plants in the back just how you would do a normal scape.

Here is a thread about a sweet iwagumi setup that another member here did: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...st-iwagumi-inspired-scape-journal-223559.html

Thanks! I will check that out and let you know what I think! :)

I have been looking through it, (not done yet) and I really like the look of Brian_Nano's tank. It has the nice rock scape, but it's not modern. Where is a good place to buy that rock cheap? Can't find any that's not super expensive... Also, I found this a couple hours ago

Alaskan Light Other Rock Stone Aquarium Terrarium Reptile Aquascape | eBay

in Wilderness, Alaskan Light, or Blue Mountain. But, my first choice would be the other rock.

Brian decided to actually go with a nature style aquarium in the end. He ended up with an amazing tank. I'm a big fan of nature style setups. I don't have the discipline or money to pull it off. Maybe someday.

Brian decided to actually go with a nature style aquarium in the end. He ended up with an amazing tank. I'm a big fan of nature style setups. I don't have the discipline or money to pull it off. Maybe someday.

Yeah, I think I am just kind of going to mix in some different styles. Also, I will see exactly what the plants look like on Friday. I hate staring at an empty tank, I was tempted to print out pictures of fish and hang them in the aquarium today, just so it doesn't look so boring :lol:

I have been looking through it, (not done yet) and I really like the look of Brian_Nano's tank. It has the nice rock scape, but it's not modern. Where is a good place to buy that rock cheap? Can't find any that's not super expensive....
You might want to check in the landscaping section of a nursery or garden center. Some have a place where they put "broken flagstone"; just a big pile of rocks that are inexpensive. Not sure if flagstone is aquarium friendly but I found small pieces of slate there.

You might want to check in the landscaping section of a nursery or garden center. Some have a place where they put "broken flagstone"; just a big pile of rocks that are inexpensive. Not sure if flagstone is aquarium friendly but I found small pieces of slate there.

Thanks, but I am stuck ordering online, because of wear we live. Living in the country definantly has its ups and downs, for sure.

I would get them, since you have some heavy root-feeding plants like ambulia. The diameter the root tabs cover and how long they last depends on the brand, there should be specification on the packaging.

Alright, thanks. What brand would you reccomend? API? Top Fin? Aqueon? Etc?

Back
Top Bottom