Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, thanks. What brand would you reccomend? API? Top Fin? Aqueon? Etc?

You might also try the same place you are getting your plants (aquariumplants.com). There are others on the forum that have ordered tabs/pellets from them. They offer a variety of formulations depending on your plant requirements (sorry can't help you there). They also have a pellet injector (3 sizes) that allow you to insert them in tight spaces without getting your hands wet.

Yeah, either go with the tabs from aquarium plants or Seachem. Then just remember to not siphon out the gravel or they'll be taken out.

Yeah, either go with the tabs from aquarium plants or Seachem. Then just remember to not siphon out the gravel or they'll be taken out.

I just got the seachem's to try. They say they last 3-4 months vs API which say to replace monthly. If seachem do last that long then. That's a plus. I really like the injector ideal. Going to look at those myself!

Thanks guys. I'll probably try SeaChem, so I don't have to order them online. That way when I get my fish I will just pick some up. Since I am doing a Silent Cycle, I think they will be okay for about ten days with co2 and ferts, along with the lights, right?

I have another question, will I need root tabs? How long to they last?

IMO you don't need them right away. None of the plants you have are very heavy root feeders. I'd get a liquid fertilizer like Seachem Prime to dose weekly. Seachem Flourish root tabs usually last for about a month, depending in how much your plants use them. You may eventually want to get dry (powdered) fertilizers to dose, so that you can control the amounts of each specific one being dosed in the tank.

As stated before, the plans changed a bit as he got into it, it was however intended to be iwagumi at first. He is doing a Dutch scape in his 26 gallon. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/26g-bow-front-my-first-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

I was trying to say that it was originally inspired by iwagumi aquascapes, but it is more of a Dutch themed scape. His tank is a nice example of a Dutch-like scape with both background and foreground plants.

Okay, that's what I thought. I guess for now I will look around at some tanks and show you guys what I like :)

Thanks everybody!!

When you are looking at tanks for ideas, be sure to pay attention to the shape of the rocks and driftwood. Most of the time the rocks used in iwagumi layouts are pointy and rough. It will help you picture what you want for your tank. :)

I was trying to say that it was originally inspired by iwagumi aquascapes, but it is more of a Dutch themed scape. His tank is a nice example of a Dutch-like scape with both background and foreground plants.

..........and that was what I was saying (y)

In regards to waiting for the root tabs, it will be fine. You don't have many heavy root feeders to begin with, and even heavy root feeders can go 10 days without tabs.

It's nice to see this tank coming together! Have you had any luck ordering those dry ferts I recommended or are you still trying to resolve issues with the site?

..........and that was what I was saying (y)

In regards to waiting for the root tabs, it will be fine. You don't have many heavy root feeders to begin with, and even heavy root feeders can go 10 days without tabs.

It's nice to see this tank coming together! Have you had any luck ordering those dry ferts I recommended or are you still trying to resolve issues with the site?

I actually ordered from bobstropicalplants.com. I am using my ipod right now so I can't check to see where they are but I will in a few mins and let you guys know!

In my shrimp tank, I have 2 female and 3 male ( I think ) sakura red cherry shrimp, and the females have a ton of yellow eggs! I am so excited! Also my plants will get here in 6 days. It's like Christmas all over again! :lol:

I actually ordered from bobstropicalplants.com. I am using my ipod right now so I can't check to see where they are but I will in a few mins and let you guys know!

In my shrimp tank, I have 2 female and 3 male ( I think ) sakura red cherry shrimp, and the females have a ton of yellow eggs! I am so excited! Also my plants will get here in 6 days. It's like Christmas all over again! :lol:

Nice! Berried shrimp always make me happy :D

Ordering from bob's is fine, with shipping it's just slightly more expensive than the route I recommended.....but your plants will be fertilized just the same (y)

Also you know you are addicted to fish keeping when: there is some api test fluid IN the rubber of your iPod case! Not between the case and the ipod, but actually in the rubber itself :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Nice! Berried shrimp always make me happy :D

Ordering from bob's is fine, with shipping it's just slightly more expensive than the route I recommended.....but your plants will be fertilized just the same (y)

Me too! My first shrimp were Amanos, and there is no way I am going to try and breed those right now....

I never was able to make an account on TPT, so I just ordered from bobs.

Sounds good! Did you get any plants from bob's or just the ferts?

Just the ferts. I want to see how many plants I get from ap.com, in case I already have enough or too much. Also, I just have enough money left to buy some rocks and or driftwood or fish until I get me allowance. Lol. At least my birthday is in March, and my parents give me birthday money so that will help a bunch. But I'll probably build another tank with most of that :hide: :lol:

Also, when I have some shrimplets to sell, that will give me a little money too!

Also the ferts are going to be here on the 31st! :)

Just the ferts. I want to see how many plants I get from ap.com, in case I already have enough or too much. Also, I just have enough money left to buy some rocks and or driftwood or fish until I get me allowance. Lol. At least my birthday is in March, and my parents give me birthday money so that will help a bunch. But I'll probably build another tank with most of that :hide: :lol:

Also, when I have some shrimplets to sell, that will give me a little money too!

Also the ferts are going to be here on the 31st! :)

Nice! It's an awesome hobby, but an expensive one too :hide:

Also, sakura red cherry shrimp should get you some decent money......higher grade RCS can go for quite a bit more than the normal ones (y)

Nice! It's an awesome hobby, but an expensive one too :hide:

Also, sakura red cherry shrimp should get you some decent money......higher grade RCS can go for quite a bit more than the normal ones (y)

Yes, it sure is! Sometimes I regret getting into it bfore I have a job, but I love it so much, even staring in an empty tank is fun because I know what is going in there!

Yeah, the shrimp are quite cute little buggers! I am going to upgrade to a 5 gal soon, and maybe get a few of another type that won't breed with the sakuras and sell those too.... We'll see :lol:

Back
Top Bottom