Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The stuff on the DW sounds like it's a type of harmless fungus and it will (eventually :lol:) go away. It may take a while, and it probably will get worse before it gets better, but it will go away. I got that stuff on my mopani wood. It did get to be looking pretty horrible, but it cleared up eventually.

Oh, and I found that if you scrub it off, it'll come right back :lol:

The stuff on the DW sounds like it's a type of harmless fungus and it will (eventually :lol:) go away. It may take a while, and it probably will get worse before it gets better, but it will go away. I got that stuff on my mopani wood. It did get to be looking pretty horrible, but it cleared up eventually.

Oh, and I found that if you scrub it off, it'll come right back :lol:

Lol, must be something with Monapi wood... That's what mine is. Haha :lol:

It does seem like every time I look at it there is more of it... I figured I would just leave it be unless it won't go away on its own.

Hey there! So I too have mopani driftwood. Mine is soaking right now, as it has been for 6 days. Has yours dis colored the water any? Mine in te bucked keeps turning the water yellow! And also, did you decide in 1 upside down cat?

Hey there! So I too have mopani driftwood. Mine is soaking right now, as it has been for 6 days. Has yours dis colored the water any? Mine in te bucked keeps turning the water yellow! And also, did you decide in 1 upside down cat?

No it really hasn't. Maybe a tiny bit yellow but really not anything too noticable.

Haven't decided on the UDC yet. I would like to get one (or a few! :) ) but we will have to see what they have there.

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrites: 5
Nitrates: 5

A bit of plant die off, which I expected, but the clover is sprouting some clover leaves!

After I tested I adding a butt load of food to get the ammonia up for a strong cycle. It hasn't gotten past .50 at all, and it's supposed to get to 4 ppm, right? So hopefully this will help get it up. I also added some ferts. I will test again later and let you guys know what's up!

Just tested again, and it's the same!:banghead:

So I added a ton more food, and I will test again tonight.

I wouldn't be so concerned that the levels aren't changing after only a couple hours. I would only test once every day or so.

Also, do you have an ace hardware in your area? If so, I would pick up a bottle of pure ammonia. Using pure ammonia to cycle your tank is a much more precise way than fish food. Also, the fish food method has the potential to cause fungal issues in your tank.

Has the co2 started bubbling yet?

I wouldn't be so concerned that the levels aren't changing after only a couple hours. I would only test once every day or so.

Also, do you have an ace hardware in your area? If so, I would pick up a bottle of pure ammonia. Using pure ammonia to cycle your tank is a much more precise way than fish food. Also, the fish food method has the potential to cause fungal issues in your tank.

Has the co2 started bubbling yet?

Okay. My parents just went to Walmart so I had them check to see if there is any pure ammonia. There is no Ace around here, unfortunantly.

co2 has not started yet. It is cold in my room so the silicon still hasn't dried yet.

Just tested my water.

Ammonia .5
Trites 5
Trates 160:blink: :confused:

So I did a pwc and we will see what the levels are here soon!

I also found what looks to be a pond snail baby in the tank. I put it in my shrimp tank because I don't want it to die, but I think one of the Amano shrimp ate it..... Of course. Lol.

I also found what looks to be a pond snail baby in the tank. I put it in my shrimp tank because I don't want it to die, but I think one of the Amano shrimp ate it..... Of course. Lol.

I don't think the shrimp ate it, if shrimp ate snails I wouldn't have the problem I do in my 10 gallon :lol: They hide well, especially babies, I bet he's in there somewhere.

I don't think the shrimp ate it, if shrimp ate snails I wouldn't have the problem I do in my 10 gallon :lol: They hide well, especially babies, I bet he's in there somewhere.

No, seriously! After I DA him, I plopped him in there, and one of my huge amanos ran over there and started eating him! :blink: So I shooed the shrimp away, and the snail went on the side of the tank. It eventually went above the water so I put it back in the water and haven't seen him since. Hopefully he is just hiding, :lol:

No, seriously! After I DA him, I plopped him in there, and one of my huge amanos ran over there and started eating him! :blink: So I shooed the shrimp away, and the snail went on the side of the tank. It eventually went above the water so I put it back in the water and haven't seen him since. Hopefully he is just hiding, :lol:

Sometimes my shrimp climb on the shell of the snail and start grazing, but I've never heard of them actually eating the snail itself.....we'll see, I guess :whistle:

You don't want 1 or any pond snails in your tank...they are asexual and will breed super fast...without loaches they will overrun the tank...get rid of all you see unless you wanna see them all the time haha

any pics?

Back
Top Bottom