Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I agree I wouldn't do 3 schools with the rams, no way, but if I shouldn't do guppies, I thought zebra danios are okay in pairs?

Even according to petsmart they are. And I've never seen/heard less than 5 in a tank. But if you took out the harchets you could do a Glofish/zebra mix.

Anybody know what kind of snails these are? They have been coming out of nowhere, (from the plants) I want know if they are a pest snail or not, and what they are :)

jkipgl.jpg

Please ignore the dead looking vals, I don't know what to do with them...

359wi75.jpg

They could be pond snails. It's hard to tell on my iPod. If they are I'd take them out.

Ditto on the pond snails and removing them.

Btw I just planted from a recent order from AP and within a few days it required pruning to get rid of the dead stuff, especially on the crypts. Shipping this time of year can be brutal. Of course I waited to order after your stuff came in (to see how they turned out). :)

Btw I just planted from a recent order from AP and within a few days it required pruning to get rid of the dead stuff, especially on the crypts. Shipping this time of year can be brutal. Of course I waited to order after your stuff came in (to see how they turned out). :)

Welll, thanks for letting me be the guinea pig...:rolleyes:

The snails have spots, like a leopard. They are pretty I have to admit :lol:

Alright. So what do you guys think about adding a couple danios or guppies to the tank? Yes or no?

Fresh2o said:

A lot of their plants are grown immersed and the leaves die and need to regrow anyway. When I got my order from them a few of the plants had to have all the leaves cut away before planting (and they were shipped in ideal weather). Your crypts should grow back lickidy split. I'm not saying it isn't the cold that did the damage but even the shipments that come in looking great have to make that initial adjustment to submerged growth. Crypts are so sensitive though. How were their roots looking?

A lot of their plants are grown immersed and the leaves die and need to regrow anyway. When I got my order from them a few of the plants had to have all the leaves cut away before planting (and they were shipped in ideal weather). Your crypts should grow back lickidy split. I'm not saying it isn't the cold that did the damage but even the shipments that come in looking great have to make that initial adjustment to submerged growth. Crypts are so sensitive though. How were their roots looking?

Actually the roots (it's been 5 days) on the crypts are growing fuzzy hairs on them and new ones are sprouting from the base of the rhizome. Each had a basal leaf that have for the most part unfurled. I needed to trim a leaf or two off each dwarf sag; they were melting. But each one has new leaves in the center that look promising. The broad leaf chain sword and Sagitteria chilensis had the buoyancy of styrofoam and were a pain to keep down. The ones that had little to no roots turned wheat colored within 48 hours. 4 leaf clovers appear to be the only ones grown emersed and were cutdown before planting. Little clovers sprouting :)

~ I should start my own thread.~

Yes ScottyHorse you were AP plant guinea pig! If they survived a trip to the northeast this time of year then VA should be okay. Funny thing the FedEx truck left for deliveries and got to my house almost 7 hours later (FedEx station less then 10 miles from my house). Plants arrived very COLD.

Actually the roots (it's been 5 days) on the crypts are growing fuzzy hairs on them and new ones are sprouting from the base of the rhizome. Each had a basal leaf that have for the most part unfurled. I needed to trim a leaf or two off each dwarf sag; they were melting. But each one has new leaves in the center that look promising. The broad leaf chain sword and Sagitteria chilensis had the buoyancy of styrofoam and were a pain to keep down. The ones that had little to no roots turned wheat colored within 48 hours. 4 leaf clovers appear to be the only ones grown emersed and were cutdown before planting. Little clovers sprouting :)

~ I should start my own thread.~

Yes ScottyHorse you were AP plant guinea pig! If they survived a trip to the northeast this time of year then VA should be okay. Funny thing the FedEx truck left for deliveries and got to my house almost 7 hours later (FedEx station less then 10 miles from my house). Plants arrived very COLD.

Oops I meant northwest
Geography fail

Tank Has CYCLED!!!! WOOP WOOP!

Fresh- LOL :lol:

Anyways..... YES!! The journey is OVER! The tank is 0/0/5 after a water change!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Lol, yes I am excited :)

Sweet sweet victory! Great job girl. ^_^

So when are you going to go shopping for some new tenants?! Well want pictures you know. ~_^

Haha thanks!! I am hoping to go tomorrow. I still don't know what I'll get for my first fish!
I was wondering if I could add 2 guppies or two glo danios to the stock, or would that be too much?
But I am SUPER excited!! Could I add my shrimp in there today or should I wait?

I'm not sure I'd add guppies if you're thinking of having rams. Could be wrong on that though. Somebody had pictures of them together. I'd add a school of about 6 small fish of your choice, plus a couple of nerite snails. Let that ride for a bit and see how your tank handles it.

I'm a little cautious with shrimp and waited about 6 weeks after adding fish to try shrimp but you can add a few if they sell them at the shop. If they're available locally and aren't to pricy it won't be much of a gamble. If you have to order them online it's worth waiting to see how stable your tank is after you have fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom