Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I am sorry! The weather got nice and I couldn't stay inside...

So today for an early birthday present we went to petco and I got 5 gold barbs, 1 'sunburst' platy, and a 5.5 with other stuff for a betta. I got a really pretty Double Tail Halfmoon and I will fish in cycle. MO is as long as you change water, it's going to be so much better than a cup or bowl! I got some plant bulbs and a couple fake plants. Don't want to bother with live plants in this tank. With the bulbs hopefully I won't have to do anything. Most I want to do is liquid ferts I got for free. LOL

My brother said he liked the platy so I bought it. He named (hopefully he) him Maximus. :lol:

I will post some pictures of the betta tank in the morning. After I get an algae scrubber for the 25 I will post some pictures of it :) I swear.

Last edited:
Ok, I am sorry! The weather got nice and I couldn't stay inside...

So today for an early birthday present we went to petco and I got 5 gold barbs, 1 'sunburst' platy, and a 5.5 with other stuff for a betta. I got a really pretty Double Tail Halfmoon and I will fish in cycle. MO is as long as you change water, it's going to be so much better than a cup or bowl! I got some plant bulbs and a couple fake plants. Don't want to bother with live plants in this tank. With the bulbs hopefully I won't have to do anything. Most I want to do is liquid ferts I got for free. LOL

My brother said he liked the platy so I bought it. He named (hopefully he) him Maximus. :lol:

I will post some pictures of the betta tank in the morning. After I get an algae scrubber for the 25 I will post some pictures of it :) I swear.

Look forward to it...developing a bit of a betta interest! Good luck with ur guy :)

I'm going to have to use my brothers ipod just a warning, the pics won't be very good. I have to finish a few things but I will get some pictures up later :)

So since today is/was my actual birthday, we went to pet smart and I bought a few things.. Just kidding! A lot!

4 Plant Tubes
1 Algae Scrubber
1 Pack of glass stones for the betta tank
1 Thing of tropical fish food (even though I already had some I the barbs were not liking it)
1 Thing of small Cichlid Pellets
2 German Blue Rams (one male one female!!)
1 Platy
2 Gold neon tetras (that's all they had and they were almost $6 each :eek: )
2 Blushing X-Ray Tetras
1 Female Betta (it was only $0.99 so I figured it was worth a shot.)

I know it's a lot to put in at once, but I did TWO water changes today, and I am tired!
So far everyone is doing great. The rams are looking good. The Cory Cats are ticked about having to share their tank. Still. The barbs are being barbs, getting in everyone's faces, but 'nicely'. The platies are doing good also, but still hiding in the back a bit. The only ones I am worried about are the Blushing X-Ray Tetras and the female Betta. They don't seem sick, just a bit over whelmed with the big tank and other fish. I bet in a few days they will be all good though :)

The plants and fish are looking good!

Happy Belated B-Day! My son shares the same birthday but is not into aquariums so we got him an electronic keyboard. Oh well.

Nice stock! Only thing is you have 4 gold barbs, 2 gold tetras, 2 x ray tetras. They need minimum of 5 and you don't have room for that

Congrats on your new additions and new tank. Happy Birthday!

Nice stock! Only thing is you have 4 gold barbs, 2 gold tetras, 2 x ray tetras. They need minimum of 5 and you don't have room for that

I had 5 gold barbs, but one of the females was killed. I bet it got in one of the other fishes faces and was killed.. It was gutted and colorless. :( Poor thing. I will be getting another.

I will have room for the three schools if I only do five. In my original stock list, I was going to have 6 hatchet fish, and 10 neon tetras. So 16 schooling fish. Along with the 5 cory cats. Now with this stock, I will have 15 schooling fish, and the five cory cats. So if I keep up with water changes, I will be okay :)

The plants and fish are looking good!

Happy Belated B-Day! My son shares the same birthday but is not into aquariums so we got him an electronic keyboard. Oh well.

Thank you :) Tell your son Happy Belated Birthday for me. Also tell him he needs to like fish tanks. Lol.

I don't know, you have 2 platys as well, so

2 German rams
5 gold barbs
5 gold tetras
5 x ray tetras
5 Cory's
2 platys
Shrimp
I think that's alot, but idk. I've been told in my 37 gallon not to do 3 schools with Cory's and rams, so that's why I think its overstocked

I'm guessing it'll be okay. Eventually I will have another tank. Lol. I'll just do a 50% water change and I think I will be okay. I see where you are coming from though.

Hey Sydney, right off the bat, I didn't get a chance to read through all 48pgs of your thread, apologies. But I'm curious as to how you like the coralife lights you have? Are they normal or high output? Did your plants respond well? I'm trying to set up my 1st planted tank and I'm having a hard time figuring out if the lights I have are sufficient.

Hey Sydney, right off the bat, I didn't get a chance to read through all 48pgs of your thread, apologies. But I'm curious as to how you like the coralife lights you have? Are they normal or high output? Did your plants respond well? I'm trying to set up my 1st planted tank and I'm having a hard time figuring out if the lights I have are sufficient.

Hi Maddy.
So far, it seems the lights are doing their job. It has kept everything alive except for HC. Mexican Oak Leaf and Pennywort grow like weeds, I have to trim them every week. I think with good substrate and ferts, you will have good luck with 'em.

Honestly I would get a different brand if I were you. Coralife fixtures from what I hear are pretty crappy, even odyssea fixtures (which are not known for their quality) can be better than coralife's. I have the 24" dual bulb Odyssea T5HO fixture, so far I have no complaints. It grows everything great (including baby tears :D). I got it off of aquatraders.com, they have great prices there.

Back
Top Bottom